none
E-mail unexpectedly suggests answerer to reply its post as an answer RRS feed

• Question

• I've get the following e-mail:

A reply from MCCZ has been marked as a proposed answer in the forums thread you have subscribed to. If it answers your question, mark it as the answer!

Unfortunatelly, I could not mark my reply as an answer because I am not the one who started the thread, so this suggestion is bogus and should be ommited from the e-mail.

• Moved by Wang Huang Wednesday, August 31, 2011 6:14 PM off topic (From:Forums Issues (not product support))
    • Moved by Wang Huang Wednesday, August 31, 2011 6:51 PM Miss move (From:Off-Topic Posts (Do Not Post Here))
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 4:26 PM

Answers

• Realize that as simple as it sounds, updating strings like this are a time consuming task. Unless it is really confusing a lot of users and a problem, we have to bump the priority down for other work. The string hasn't changed in about two years and not a lot of complaints. We've logged it but I don't expect us to get to this any time soon. thanks for all the feedback though.
    Community Forums Program Manager
    Friday, September 2, 2011 5:48 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hello MCCZ,

Thank you for your post!

I'd like to suggest posting your question in one of the MSDN Forums:

Microsoft Developer Network > Forums Home > Using Forums Forums > Suggestions and Feedback for the Forums

at:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/suggest/threads

Hope this would be helpful.

Have a nice day!

Thanks
    Liam Huang
    STO Application Team
    Server and Tools Online Operations Team
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 6:19 PM
  • Hi, my post was meant as a bug report on the forum software. Based on the description of the forum you suggest, I had chosen the right forum in the first place.

"If you have a bug to report, please use the Forums Issues (Not Product Support) Forum."

So please, move this post back to the "Forum Issues" forum. Thank you.

Wednesday, August 31, 2011 6:24 PM
  • The message states "If it answers your question, mark it as the answer!"  So IF it doesn't, then you don't. The message isn't completely bogus.
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 11:02 PM
    Answerer
  • I understand the e-mail as "You asked a question and got some replies. Now, somebody proposed one of them to be an answer; so if that reply really answered that question, mark the reply as the answer."

I would be strange to be asked whether something answered my question when there was no my question in the first place.

Thursday, September 1, 2011 5:02 AM
  • I guess I could see that perspective, but we probably won't be changing this.  
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 7:22 AM
    Answerer
  • Naturally, you're making the final decission. I've just tried to vote.
    Friday, September 2, 2011 6:12 AM
  • I agree, the wording on this message is not entirely correct. Perhaps if this message is addressed for the OP, then this text is appropriate, otherwise may be not send this activity in e-mail at all to people who participated in the thread?
    For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog
    Friday, September 2, 2011 1:24 PM
  • Realize that as simple as it sounds, updating strings like this are a time consuming task. Unless it is really confusing a lot of users and a problem, we have to bump the priority down for other work. The string hasn't changed in about two years and not a lot of complaints. We've logged it but I don't expect us to get to this any time soon. thanks for all the feedback though.
    Friday, September 2, 2011 5:48 PM
    Answerer