cant back up my pc at all. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone, well i had my homeserver idle since i didn't have enough space for backups but now i bought a hhd and i installed it and it showed i have plenty of space for backups. so I try to make a back up and 2 minutes later i get an error thats reads: "An unexpected error occurred on the server when calling an API.
    IWbemLocator::ConnectServer
    -2147217388"

Can someone help me correct this issue so that I can start backing up my pc is been 56 days since i back it up. thanks.

Friday, April 10, 2009 1:31 PM

Answers

• hey thanks for the help. yes it ends with 2030 and its power pack 2. ok I downloaded the windows home server toolkit and i submitted the report that way. how do you do it on the connect website?

Go to Connect and create an account if you do not have one.

Join the Windows Home Server program

Click on Feedback. It will force you to search for your issue. Since this is a backup bug, enter anything and click on the orange arrow. Click on the "submit feedback button"

Select the WHS Power Pack 2 Public Bug Report Form

Fill out the information in the bug report as completely as possible and provide both client and server side CABs.

We will follow up with you via the bug once it has been triaged internally.

Thanks!

Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server

Wednesday, April 15, 2009 8:24 PM

All replies

• Hello everyone, well i had my homeserver idle since i didn't have enough space for backups but now i bought a hhd and i installed it and it showed i have plenty of space for backups. so I try to make a back up and 2 minutes later i get an error thats reads: "An unexpected error occurred on the server when calling an API.
    -2147217388"

Can someone help me correct this issue so that I can start backing up my pc is been 56 days since i back it up. thanks.

Do you have other client PCs?  If so, do those backup successfully?  Have you checked the event logs on both the client and server for more info?
    Friday, April 10, 2009 11:51 PM
    -2147217388"

Do you have other client PCs?  If so, do those backup successfully?  Have you checked the event logs on both the client and server for more info?

I try on my laptop which is vista x64 and my desktop which is vista x32. I get the same error on both. How do i do this  "Have you checked the event logs on both the client and server for more info"?
    Saturday, April 11, 2009 1:06 AM
  • I try on my laptop which is vista x64 and my desktop which is vista x32. I get the same error on both. How do i do this  "Have you checked the event logs on both the client and server for more info"?
    On Vista, you can find the event logs by right clicking on Computer > Manage (accept UAC).  Then expand Event Viewer, then Windows Logs.  For your server, login to the server dekstop > right click My Computer > Manage.  Then expand Event Viewer.

Also, there are WHS backup logs on your Vista PCs.  Those can be found at C:\Users\All Users\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs.
    Saturday, April 11, 2009 5:09 AM
  • I try on my laptop which is vista x64 and my desktop which is vista x32. I get the same error on both. How do i do this  "Have you checked the event logs on both the client and server for more info"?
    On Vista, you can find the event logs by right clicking on Computer > Manage (accept UAC).  Then expand Event Viewer, then Windows Logs.  For your server, login to the server dekstop > right click My Computer > Manage.  Then expand Event Viewer.

Also, there are WHS backup logs on your Vista PCs.  Those can be found at C:\Users\All Users\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs.

Hey thanx. i check the event viewer on the server and it get this:
    Event Type: Error
    Event Source: HomeServer
    Event Category: Backup
    Event ID: 267
    Date:  4/10/2009
    Time:  10:22:19 AM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: FIDELITO305
    Description:
    Client Backup server failed at d:\wssg_src\whs_pp2\qhs\src\backup\util\sort.cpp(471)

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

What else can i do to fix this problem?

Sunday, April 12, 2009 4:53 AM

Hey thanx. i check the event viewer on the server and it get this:
    Event Category: Backup
    Event ID: 267
    Date:  4/10/2009
    Time:  10:22:19 AM
    Computer: FIDELITO305
    Description:
    Client Backup server failed at d:\wssg_src\whs_pp2\qhs\src\backup\util\sort.cpp(471)

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

What else can i do to fix this problem?

With an error like that, you should file a bug report on Connect.
    Sunday, April 12, 2009 6:46 PM
  • Can anyone provide a suggestion on how i can fix this?please. I really need to fix this issue. everything much appreciated.
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 7:28 PM
  • Can anyone provide a suggestion on how i can fix this?please. I really need to fix this issue. everything much appreciated.

Is your server running Power Pack 2? Under settings>resources do the version numbers end in 2030? If they do, please file a bug on Connect as we need logs in order to troubleshoot this error. If your server is an HP MediaSmart and you do not want to file a bug, please contact HP for support.

Thanks!
    Windows Home Server
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 7:39 PM

Is your server running Power Pack 2? Under settings>resources do the version numbers end in 2030? If they do, please file a bug on Connect as we need logs in order to troubleshoot this error. If your server is an HP MediaSmart and you do not want to file a bug, please contact HP for support.

Thanks!
    Windows Home Server
    hey thanks for the help. yes it ends with 2030 and its power pack 2. ok I downloaded the windows home server toolkit and i submitted the report that way. how do you do it on the connect website?
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 7:59 PM
  • hey thanks for the help. yes it ends with 2030 and its power pack 2. ok I downloaded the windows home server toolkit and i submitted the report that way. how do you do it on the connect website?

Go to Connect and create an account if you do not have one.

Join the Windows Home Server program

Click on Feedback. It will force you to search for your issue. Since this is a backup bug, enter anything and click on the orange arrow. Click on the "submit feedback button"

Select the WHS Power Pack 2 Public Bug Report Form

Fill out the information in the bug report as completely as possible and provide both client and server side CABs.

We will follow up with you via the bug once it has been triaged internally.

Thanks!

Windows Home Server

Wednesday, April 15, 2009 8:24 PM
  • Thanks I submitted the bug hopefully i can get it fix. thanks for helping me.
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 8:30 PM
  • I'm having that same exact error.

Client Backup server failed at d:\wssg_src\whs_pp2\qhs\src\backup\util\sort.cpp

I have a newly reinstalled system on a HP MediaSmart server.  I used "factory reset" when I installed (cleaned house).  All Microsoft updates have been applied - including PP2 & IE 8.  After all updates were applied, then the server was updated to version 2.5 from HP.  My system has the original 2 gig RAM installed and four new 1 TB drives.

The problem occurs on two separate XP Pro clients residing on the same network, same workgroup and same ethernet switch.  I have tried another ethernet switch but the problem persists.  The initial error msg on the client machines says "Backup failed because of a problem with your Windows Home Server Connection software.  (blah, blah)".

Server side error event

Event Category: HomeBackup
    Event ID: 773
    Date:  5/10/2009
    Time:  6:41:05 PM
    Computer: VIDEOEDIT
    Description:
    Backup of volume C: to KERRPLUNK failed: Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.Protocol.ProtocolException: Client / Server connection lost
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.Protocol.ReconnectableStream.TryReconnect(Int32 localGeneration)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.Protocol.ReconnectableStream.ReadWithReconnect()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.Protocol.ReconnectableStream.ReadByte()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Common.Client.BinaryReaderEx.ReadLong()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Common.Client.BinaryReaderEx.ReadInt()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.Protocol.BackupProtocol.GetResponse()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.DoWorking(BackupVolumePhase phase)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.RunWithoutCatch()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.Run()

As I write this, I am removing 2 discs from the storage pool so I can transfer all my data out of the pool.  Then I can safely work on the problem.

This probelm did not exist until I updated to server version 2.5.  However, in that up date process, I let MS update IE to IE 8 and I am somewhat suspicious of that.  So, my next step will be to uninstall IE 8 (hopefully, that won't make too big a mess).

I'll post back what eventually solves the problem - as soon as it IS solved.

Monday, May 11, 2009 3:02 PM
  • First, I would run chkdsk on the client PCs with this issue.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, May 11, 2009 3:24 PM
  • Actually, I had already done that, but just to be sure, I ran it again on both clients - no errors reported.  Since both clients have multiple drives (one with a USB external drive the other with a small RAID 0 and a larger secondary HDD), I have even tried configuring the backups to only the C: drive.  Still have the problem.
    Monday, May 11, 2009 3:36 PM
  • If you don't have a lot of data on your server, why not just do another factory reset, then decline IE8 when it's offered? That will let you test whether IE8 is causing a problem for you or not. I don't think it is, to be honest, since there would be a lot more reports of problems if IE8 was to blame.

As for chkdsk, did you run it with the "/r" parameter, to perform a full surface scan and repair?

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, May 11, 2009 4:08 PM
  • I'd like to run factory reset again, but it's not as easy as one might assume. My ISP is a satellite service (I live in the boonies) and limits the amount of download to only a few hundred MB's per 24 hr. The updates for both Windows & Server 2.5 exceed that, so I have to do it in small steps. That's my last resort procedure.

I did run chkdsk with the "/r" parameter earlier, but not today.
    Monday, May 11, 2009 4:31 PM
  • Okay, Ken.  I ran chkdsk x: /r once again on all drives on both clients.  Neither one reported finding any errors but, it does appear to have fixed my backup problem - at least both ran successful full backups one time.  I would set this as an answered issue, but it's not my thread.  Hopefully, the OP will see this and have some success, too.  Thanks for the nudge in the right direction.
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 2:09 AM
  • Hi, I am having this problem with a fresh WHS - installation which has all updates.
    I have installed WHS on VMWare Server 2.0.1 in a virtual machine having 2048 MB of RAM, Intel Atom 330 (2x CPU in the VM) an 1 TB of HD-space in the VM via IDE.
    Can anyone help? Tried with new install 2 times. I have 2 PCs and one of them is working fine with the backup, the other not
    Saturday, September 19, 2009 11:34 PM
  • Hi, I am having this problem with a fresh WHS - installation which has all updates.
    I have installed WHS on VMWare Server 2.0.1 in a virtual machine having 2048 MB of RAM, Intel Atom 330 (2x CPU in the VM) an 1 TB of HD-space in the VM via IDE.
    Can anyone help? Tried with new install 2 times. I have 2 PCs and one of them is working fine with the backup, the other not
    First, installing WHS in a VM is unsupported.  Second, you really need to provide more info (especially about the client that doesn't back up).  And finally, you would be better off starting your own thread instead of adding to one that has already been marked as answered.
    Sunday, September 20, 2009 5:12 AM