Office XP Activation error after around 5 years w/o problem RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hopefully this is the right place for this question.

I am using my laptop in France for a few months, though normally I use it where I live in San Diego.

Recently (and perhaps unrelatedly), I attempted to place my laptop into standby mode. However, before it had finished going into standby, I shut the cover to the laptop and, since the laptop was configured to put the system into hibernation mode upon that action, it seems as though the hibernation process immediately interrupted the standby process and placed the PC into some sort of hibernated version of the aborted standby state -- not a pretty picture, and somewhat surprising that XP would allow that. Needless to say, it didn't restart properly coming out of hibernation, but after a simple reboot, everything seemed fine.

Well, to make a long story short, the system actually did seem to escape functionally unscathed except for Office Genuine Validation. It worked for a bit, but upon installing Skype (just a few hours later), it decided that I had made significant changes to my machine configuration, and wanted me to pop in my install CD -- which, unfortunately, is still in San Diego.

I ran system restore to an earlier point to see if that helped, removing Skype in the process, and it actually seemed to help -- at least for a couple of days or so -- because the validation message went away.

Then Office started giving me the message again and dropping into reduced functionality mode consistently. (I think it was triggered when I updated a touchpad driver.) I ran system restore once again to an even earlier point, but this time it didn't help.

I know I should have brought the original disk with me, but I couldn't think of everything, and that was just one of those things I didn't remember to do.

I ran the all tests mentioned in this area, and everything seemed to pass. I'm running Windows XP Professional SP 2, and everything is up to date except that, because I ran system restore (as mentioned above) to take the system back to around October 24, 2007 or so, it's actually only up to date only as of around that point. Following this post is the output of the MS diagnostic tool 1.7.0062.0:

I'm in France for another six weeks, so any practical suggestions for unconfusing the Genuine Advantage system from here, instead of waiting until I get home would be greatly welcomed!!

Regards,

Ed S.

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0062.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Validation Code: 0
    Online Validation Code: N/A
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-RY7BM-HM3KT-BKVRW
    Windows Product Key Hash: 6994t4LQCbvkXhtNbqQCL4+auQs=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-OEM-2211906-00107
    Windows Product ID Type: 2
    Windows License Type: OEM SLP
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    ID: {08AE1E32-BC42-495B-AB2A-356EF6CC5922}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.59.1
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-171-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

Vista BRT Data-->
    Grace Flag: N/A
    Commit: N/A
    Reboot Flag: N/A
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Wgaer.exe Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Wgaer.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 0
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.7.17.0
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 100 Genuine
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.21.0
    Office Diagnostics: 7E90FEE8-169-80004005_B4D0AA8B-514-80004005_025D1FF3-171-1

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Allowed
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Prompt
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{08AE1E32-BC42-495B-AB2A-356EF6CC5922}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0062.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-BKVRW</PKey><PID>55274-OEM-2211906-00107</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-4168273537-1203367206-2587936551</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>IBM</Manufacturer><Model>236682U</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>IBM</Manufacturer><Version>1IET71WW (2.10 )</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="31"/><Date>20060616000000.000000+000</Date><SLPBIOS>IBM CORPORATION,IBM CORPORATION</SLPBIOS></BIOS><HWID>63FB3207018400E2</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Romance Standard Time(GMT+01:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>2</stat><msppid></msppid><name>IBM Corporation</name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><BRT/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>100</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90280409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office XP Professional with FrontPage</Name><Ver>10</Ver><Val>39E82C7A82E029A</Val><Hash>MG/v8Btb98jo/MXVVF4OFyhnFyQ=</Hash><Pid>54185-337-0519814-17699</Pid><PidType>8</PidType></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

-----------------------------------------------------

Here's an update:

1/2 gig of memory was found to have come loose coincidentally with the problems described above, so perhaps that triggered the Validation Wizard. I reseated the memory, undid the system recovery, and tried again to run Office with the original amount of memory, but to no avail. The error info now reads as below even with the proper 1gb of memory installed. I see the Office Diagnostics have changed a bit, though.

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0062.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Validation Code: 0
    Online Validation Code: N/A
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-RY7BM-HM3KT-BKVRW
    Windows Product Key Hash: 6994t4LQCbvkXhtNbqQCL4+auQs=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-OEM-2211906-00107
    Windows Product ID Type: 2
    Windows License Type: OEM SLP
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    ID: {08AE1E32-BC42-495B-AB2A-356EF6CC5922}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.36.0
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-171-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

Vista BRT Data-->
    Grace Flag: N/A
    Commit: N/A
    Reboot Flag: N/A
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Wgaer.exe Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Wgaer.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 0
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.7.17.0
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 100 Genuine
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-2968-80070002_7E90FEE8-169-80004005_B4D0AA8B-514-80004005_025D1FF3-171-1

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{08AE1E32-BC42-495B-AB2A-356EF6CC5922}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0062.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-BKVRW</PKey><PID>55274-OEM-2211906-00107</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-4168273537-1203367206-2587936551</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>IBM</Manufacturer><Model>236682U</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>IBM</Manufacturer><Version>1IET71WW (2.10 )</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="31"/><Date>20060616000000.000000+000</Date><SLPBIOS>IBM CORPORATION,IBM CORPORATION</SLPBIOS></BIOS><HWID>63FB3207018400E2</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Romance Standard Time(GMT+01:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>2</stat><msppid></msppid><name>IBM Corporation</name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><BRT/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>100</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90280409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office XP Professional with FrontPage</Name><Ver>10</Ver><Val>39E82C7A82E029A</Val><Hash>MG/v8Btb98jo/MXVVF4OFyhnFyQ=</Hash><Pid>54185-337-0519814-17699</Pid><PidType>8</PidType></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Monday, November 12, 2007 2:00 PM

Answers

• Ed,

Please read the following Knowledge Base (KB) article "How to troubleshoot problems that you may experience when you try to activate an Office product" located here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/903275 .  Please review the following section Method 1: General troubleshootingMethod 1: General troubleshooting and Method 2: If the Opa11.dat file or the Data.dat file is corrupted.  Next read the portion labeled Office XP and Method 3: If you made significant changes to the configuration of the computer.

Please let me know if this resolves your problem and gets you operational again. 

Thank you Ed

Stephen Holm, MS

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 10:49 PM

All replies

• Hello Estickgold,

Everything appears functional according to the diagnostic results. Lets try something. Please visit the following website and telephone activate Windows @ http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326851/en-us Please let me know how the works :-). 

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Monday, November 12, 2007 8:40 PM
  • Thanks for the really fast reply. It's appreciated.

I went to the web site you suggested and called the activation number. The automated system didn't help, but the system had an option to speak to a live person, so I chose that.

The person I reached (named Sarbash, best I can tell), said he could not help me until I installed the Office XP product. I explained again that it was already "installed", but what he apparently meant was that I had to reinstall the product before he could help me. This was based on the fact that the activation wizard was asking me to insert my original CD. But, as you know, that CD is around 7000 miles away. He gave me another number to call for further help: 888-346-5229.

I called that number and spoke to "Gwen". I explained the situation to her, but initially she thought that the popup notice said that my product was counterfeit. When I re-explained the situation, she said she couldn't understand why the product would stop working, and asked for some product id information. Based on that, she suggested that I either seek help through Microsoft's website, or call MS tech support at 800-936-5700 for a $49.00 technical support call.

However, I am concerned that a primary goal of her response may have simply been to pass this problem to some other group. So, I'm not very confident that the group she is recommending is going to be able to solve this problem. In fact, after a bit of questioning, it seemed that she wasn't very sure that they could help either.

Needless to say, any further help or recommendations would be appreciated!

Regards,

Ed S. 

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 12:15 AM
  • Hello Ed,

I apologize for all the confusion. Seems like the changes made to the laptop could be prompting the machine to revalidate. Curious did Windows also ask you to revalidate or was it only Office? Ed is there anyone in San Diego who can send your MS Office software to you? If so I would recommend sending it with insurance and maybe even return receipt requested. There may be a possibility you will need to remove and reinstall Office.

Stephen Holm, MS

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 1:00 AM
  • Well, thanks for your quick reply again!

The answer to your first question is that only Office is asking me to reactivate. It doesn't seem to use the term "revalidate", so perhaps we are talking about two different proceses?.

The message says "Microsoft Office XP Professional with FrontPage has detected a significant change in your machine configuration. For Microsoft Office XP Professional with FrontPage to continue to function properly, and to avoid entry into reduced functionality mode, you must reactivate your product. With the product in reduced functionality mode, you will not be able to save or create new documents, and other product functionality will be reduced. For more information about reduced functionality mode, click the help button. To start the reactivation process, please insert your Microsoft Office XP Professional with FrontPage CD, and then click the next button."

It did occur to me that your original reply might have been suggesting that I try to reactivate Windows, but when I tried to do that, Windows complained that it was already activated. So Windows seems to be just fine..

The answer to your second question is "possibly", but it would be difficult (I'd have to ask someone to rummage around in my home to find the disc), time consuming, expensive to send, and frankly, embarrassing. That's why I'm trying to find another way. I thought there would be one, since I'm reasonably sure that Microsoft does not want to be in the position of having to recommend that users always carry a copy of their install discs around (even though it is obviously a prudent thing to do).

My current theory is that the problem resulted from the loss of memory on my laptop (losing half a gig for a while). If that's the case, however, I'm surprised that restoring the RAM doesn't remove the reactivation requirement.

Any more suggestions?

Regards,

Ed S.

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 9:16 AM
  • Steve, may I assume from your lack of a quick response (as all your other response have been), that you are able to offer no further help? Or are you just mulling this case over?

A confirmation either way would be appreciated.

Thanks for your understanding and your previous help.

Regards,

Ed S.

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 5:18 PM
  • Hello Ed,

Please give me a little more time with this situation and I will post back.  Thank you.

Stephen Holm, MS

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 10:38 PM
  • Ed,

Please read the following Knowledge Base (KB) article "How to troubleshoot problems that you may experience when you try to activate an Office product" located here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/903275 .  Please review the following section Method 1: General troubleshootingMethod 1: General troubleshooting and Method 2: If the Opa11.dat file or the Data.dat file is corrupted.  Next read the portion labeled Office XP and Method 3: If you made significant changes to the configuration of the computer.

Please let me know if this resolves your problem and gets you operational again. 

Thank you Ed

Stephen Holm, MS

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 10:49 PM
  • Hi Steve,

Thanks once again.

Wow, that was a lot of stuff, but I saw nothing there that said "this is what you do if your software wants to look at your CD for reactivation, and you don't have your CD with you."

I did try to remove the data.dat file, but Office just created another one.

I saw an interesting article (KB 290134) that says how to determine whether I have a retail version of Office or not. Apparently my version is considered an "Enterprise" version, even though I installed it from a CD -- probably because I got the CD while I was a Universal MSDN subscriber. (This is the only PC I installed Office on, though.) Hmm, I wonder if that means I'm in the wrong forum, and you are not supposed to help me. I hope not.

There is another article (KB 304226) that suggests (but does not state clearly) that in my case, reactivation should not be necessary, but then again it states that this was fixed in SP1 and I'm up to SP3.

So, bottom line, no luck.

Regards,

Ed S.

Thursday, November 15, 2007 4:18 PM