Legal Product Key won´t be validated ???? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I needed to do a fresh reinstall of my laptop. I was confident to be able to do it since my laptop is from a well known brand with a legal product key for Windows XP Home edition. My surprise is that now I am not able to validate the installation. Checked several times if I was typing the key incorrectly but that's not the case. Now I have to wait until next working day to be able to phone Cstomer Service and see what the problem is.

I do understand the reasons for the meures, but for sure Microsoft should be doing this easier for the legal customers.

It looks easier to install an ilegal copy of XP.

What is even worst is that to make my OS less risky agains the millions of exploits in the wild for this product, I need to install the updates.... and I can't do it untill it has been validated. Ok. Thanks. I will shut down my Microsoft OS and keep using one of the flavours of Linux.

Hope someone can help. 

Saturday, May 13, 2006 9:30 PM

Answers

•  MCSE Crew wrote:

Hi,

I needed to do a fresh reinstall of my laptop. I was confident to be able to do it since my laptop is from a well known brand with a legal product key for Windows XP Home edition. My surprise is that now I am not able to validate the installation. Checked several times if I was typing the key incorrectly but that's not the case. Now I have to wait until next working day to be able to phone Cstomer Service and see what the problem is.

I do understand the reasons for the meures, but for sure Microsoft should be doing this easier for the legal customers.

What is even worst is that to make my OS less risky agains the millions of exploits in the wild for this product, I need to install the updates.... and I can't do it untill it has been validated. Ok. Thanks. I will shut down my Microsoft OS and keep using one of the flavours of Linux.

Hope someone can help. 

MSCE:

What is the validation failure message you're recieving?

download the WGA Diagnostics tool here:

- http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

Please copy and paste its output here so we can better serve you.

-Phil Liu

Sunday, May 14, 2006 6:10 AM
  • Phil,

The exact error message is that the product key is incorrect ???

Is not an error saying the it is in use or unable to connect to the validation server. No, product key incorrect. I have a Mcrosoft sticker under my HP Compaq computrer. I am tho only owner of this laptop and it is from a trushtworthy seller.

Is it due to configuration of active X in IE? If so, it has the default configuration.

Thank you for your help.

• Marked as answer by Carl-S Wednesday, July 23, 2008 9:34 PM
    Sunday, May 14, 2006 8:26 AM

All replies

• Did you reinstall Windows XP using your computer manufacturer's original restore or reinstallation CD and the Product Key affixed to the PC?
    Saturday, May 13, 2006 9:54 PM
  •  MCSE Crew wrote:

Hi,

Hope someone can help. 

MSCE:

What is the validation failure message you're recieving?

download the WGA Diagnostics tool here:

- http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

Please copy and paste its output here so we can better serve you.

-Phil Liu

Sunday, May 14, 2006 6:10 AM
  •  

Hi there,

Thank you for your response. Yes, I am reinstallin using the recovery cd of Compaq for my laptop, and using the product key of the COA sticker.

Thank you for the diag tool. I an not sure what I should be looking for but here s a copy of the diagnostic. Any help. Thank you.

WGA Diagnostic Data (1.5.0526.1):
    --------------------
    Genuine Validation Status: Not Activated
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-FQBXW-9JW39-VBMBB
    Windows Product Key Hash:  I have deleted the hashed product key

Windows Product ID: 55686-OEM-2148193-64288
    Windows Product ID Type: 3
    Windows License Type: COA/Sysem Builder
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010300.1.0.hom
    Download Center code: CXLC4G
    ID: a7b244ff-2d68-448c-8e22-5907cbd9a260
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial:
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.512.0.
    Signature Type: Microsoft.
    Validation Diagnostic:

Scan: Complete
    Cryptography: Complete

Office Status: 109
    Office Diagnostics: B4D0AA8B-467-80070002

Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Archivos de programa\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control:
    Active scripting:
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting:

Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>a7b244ff-2d68-448c-8e22-5907cbd9a260</UGUID><Version>1.5.0526.1</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010300.1.0.hom</OS><PID>55686-OEM-2148193-64288</PID><PIDType>3</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-220523388-1383384898-1343024091</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Hewlett-Packard        </Manufacturer><Model>Presario 2500 (DM666A)   </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies Ltd.</Manufacturer><Version>KF_KH.F.12</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20030822******.******+***</Date></BIOS><HWID>250001010201000001010201019EFE1D7381D34A4A0DB2E58ACE41884A843AEB2100000000</HWID><UserLCID>0C0A</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0C0A</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Hora estándar GMT(GMT+00:00)</TimeZone></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Sunday, May 14, 2006 8:18 AM
  • Phil,

The exact error message is that the product key is incorrect ???

Is not an error saying the it is in use or unable to connect to the validation server. No, product key incorrect. I have a Mcrosoft sticker under my HP Compaq computrer. I am tho only owner of this laptop and it is from a trushtworthy seller.

Is it due to configuration of active X in IE? If so, it has the default configuration.

Thank you for your help.

• Marked as answer by Carl-S Wednesday, July 23, 2008 9:34 PM
    Sunday, May 14, 2006 8:26 AM
  • if no product key incorrectproduct key incorrect

then why im i keep getting these messege ?

Sunday, May 14, 2006 11:32 AM
  • should i download the Diagnostics tool ?
    Sunday, May 14, 2006 11:49 AM