Motherboard, CPU, Ram upgrade issue. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I purchased a Vista 64 bit with option to upgrade to Windows 7 disc, seven months ago.  (MS VISTA HOME PREM X64 1PK COUPON %) is the exact title of product.  Previous to this I purchased an XP disk for my build.  Since then Windows 7 was on the way and I was tired of not using my PC to its fullest so I got the 64 bit version of Vista along with the 7 upgrade for when I am ready to try it.

My Motherboard has been having issues lately and I want to replace it with a new one and while I am at it I want to have a faster CPU as well.  I figure that I have to do a clean install in order to avoid driver issues etc.  I am concerned that I will need to reactivate the Vista OS.  I guess I don't mind doing so, but I have barely used it, not to mention that I have yet to use the upgrade to 7 coupon.  Am i going to have to pay for a new key or is the one I have going to work?  Also, if it comes down to it (which I really don't think it should) how will that affect my Windows 7 upgrade?

I had already ordered stuff from newegg and unless someone has any good ideas, I will just try to do a clean install and cross my fingers.  If anyone has ever upgraded the Mobo, CPU, and RAM and ran into issues with activation please help me.

Thank you for any help,

-Remove22

Thursday, March 25, 2010 10:42 PM

Answers

• Hi Remover22,

Changing out componets can sometimes cause Windows to prompt to be reactivated. I don't know if your copy of Windows is a Retail or OEM version, but either way, if I understand the scenario you described, reinstalling and reactivating should not cause any problem.  

a) OEM versions of Windows allow you to reinstall/reactivate as many times as needed on the same computer.

and

b) Retail versions allow you to reinstall/reactivate on the same computer or move the windows to a new computer as many times as needed (as long as you only have it installed on one computer at a time).

NOTE: You may get an error when attempting to Activate over the Internet (something along the lines of "This Key is Already in Use" or a similare error) don't worry, that is just Window's way of saying you need to Activate by Phone.

Hope I answered your question,

Darin MS
    Friday, March 26, 2010 6:58 PM

All replies

• Hi Remover22,

Changing out componets can sometimes cause Windows to prompt to be reactivated. I don't know if your copy of Windows is a Retail or OEM version, but either way, if I understand the scenario you described, reinstalling and reactivating should not cause any problem.  

a) OEM versions of Windows allow you to reinstall/reactivate as many times as needed on the same computer.

and

b) Retail versions allow you to reinstall/reactivate on the same computer or move the windows to a new computer as many times as needed (as long as you only have it installed on one computer at a time).

NOTE: You may get an error when attempting to Activate over the Internet (something along the lines of "This Key is Already in Use" or a similare error) don't worry, that is just Window's way of saying you need to Activate by Phone.

Hope I answered your question,

Darin MS
    Friday, March 26, 2010 6:58 PM
  • Hi Darin,

I can't tell you how relieved I am to hear this.  You have made my day!  My parts are in and I can't wait to get home and (hopefully have time to) start taking my faulty Mobo out and prepping my new one. 

I will just do a clean install and follow the instructions for activation by phone.  I hope all goes well.

Thanks you for your time,

-Remove22

Monday, March 29, 2010 9:55 PM