none
Unexpected error on every operation! RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everybody,

I seem to be getting 'Unexpected error' java script alert on every operation (each post and action generates it). However, all of my messages have been posted OK, so this message is just confusing, but it doesn't mean there really was an error.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

Friday, July 27, 2012 5:00 AM

Answers

• Hi Hemendra, yes there is a bunch of previous posts that were not reflected on the activity, yesterday ones caused by the glitch on the deployments process.

I am trying to confirm that the issue is not happening anymore. I see that this post I am replying is reflected in your activities, so I believe we are good.

For all those post that you listed above, I just filed a bug to follow up.

Regards,

Community Forums QA

Friday, July 27, 2012 5:58 PM

All replies

• Same with me, I also get every time an "unexpected error", but all posts seems to be ok. Meanwhile it's more an "expected error" ;-)

Olaf Helper
    * cogito ergo sum * errare humanum est * quote erat demonstrandum *
    Wenn ich denke, ist das ein Fehler und das beweise ich täglich
    Blog Xing

Friday, July 27, 2012 5:02 AM
  • Thought I'd add my "Me Too" as well :-)

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Friday, July 27, 2012 5:04 AM
  • I also got another error - error on page when I tried to post that message. I added this into the original message, got another error and that change was not saved.

Seems like the forums have problems right now and I don't know whom to contact. I sent e-mail to Ed Price, but who is the person(s) who should now respond? Brent is no longer with MS as I understood and he was my primary contact before for these problems. Now we're left to ourselves, I am afraid.

My blog

Friday, July 27, 2012 5:05 AM
  • This error also occurs when I click on Propose as Answer or Vote As Helpful

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Friday, July 27, 2012 5:07 AM
  • Yes, exactly. Or when I tried to delete a duplicate message. You either get this error or an error page from the server (which I think is even worse).

My blog

Friday, July 27, 2012 5:10 AM
  • Same here and I thought of posting the same question but saw your thread already open. I am using google chrome..

Also I can't see the Alert Bell with my replies..

Thanks and regards, Rishabh K

• Edited by Rishabh K Friday, July 27, 2012 5:42 AM
    Friday, July 27, 2012 5:18 AM
  • Well, I've answered one more question, got an error and that message didn't get posted!!! :(

My blog

Friday, July 27, 2012 6:02 AM
  • I work on the 'technet' site, and by taking 'technet' out of the URL, I can then post and vote.

There is something wrong with the new Technet site:  It won't let me reply or vote.

I am currently typing this on the old site.

Grant Ward, a.k.a. Bigteddy

Friday, July 27, 2012 6:03 AM
  • In our case we're working in MSDN (SQL Server forums). Although I am no longer getting the error - last time I got it I lost the message :(

My blog

Friday, July 27, 2012 6:04 AM
  • +1

Experiencing this issue ( 'Unexpected error') on Windows Server TechCenter > Windows Server Forums >  General Forum as well.

I am also seeing message given below randomly when a page is refreshed or when click back to view previous page.

Internal Server Error

Sorry, We were unable to service your request. Please try again later.

For the latest headlines and see what's new, visit the TechNet home page.

Check out the various Tech Centers where you can find the latest product information, technical resources and community offerings.

Visit the TechNet Library for the latest technical articles, reference documentation, downloads and more.

Browse to TechNet Forums to get fast answers for technical questions or use the search option below to find out other relevant resources.

Even 'Alert' didn't work on couple of threads which I had replied.

- .... .- -. -.- ... --..-- ... .- -. - --- ... ....

Friday, July 27, 2012 7:43 AM
  • +1

I am facing same issue as santosh said. In my case if thread is answered then it is not showing in profile activity and statics section is not updating.

Cheers, Hemendra-MCTS "Yesterday is just a memory,Tomorrow we may never see"

Friday, July 27, 2012 9:22 AM
  • Yes, the unexpected errors seem to be gone, but the Activity is updated very strange. I see that I got an answer in one thread, but it's not reflected in my activity or points. However, my very recent activity is reflected. Just not the answer.

My blog

Friday, July 27, 2012 10:02 AM
  • I now got several of them again, not to mention the other type of error. I also got some points, but never got the points for my first answer in the thread.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/transactsql/thread/f9137ec7-bcc6-479b-845e-6660152eff7c/#d472c0e4-b6c6-4a89-ad7e-b9f0187cb22d

Second answer is reported, but not the first one.

My blog

Friday, July 27, 2012 10:16 AM
  • Yes, the unexpected errors seem to be gone, but the Activity is updated very strange. I see that I got an answer in one thread, but it's not reflected in my activity or points. However, my very recent activity is reflected. Just not the answer.

My blog

Yes, points are not being updated properly.

I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here are my own.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Friday, July 27, 2012 10:21 AM
  • I now got several of them again, not to mention the other type of error. I also got some points, but never got the points for my first answer in the thread.

This is also true in my case. Couple of answers were marked in a single thread however, points for only one answer was credited.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winservergen/thread/9701337d-819a-43b9-a6bc-878e0c68d385/

Even, points for helpful votes are not updating.

I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here are my own.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Friday, July 27, 2012 10:24 AM

My blog

No, i am getting same error when reply to any thread. I have to refresh the page everytime. About statics, some of the answered thread are displaying and some are not. I think there is some problem with DB side and i hope MS people will be working on that.

Friday, July 27, 2012 10:31 AM
  • RSS feeds are not updating regularly as well !

Friday, July 27, 2012 10:52 AM
  • I am getting this error too, when trying to reload the thread it is like it doesn't exist anymore. After a moment it is available again.

Friday, July 27, 2012 10:53 AM
  • Another missing points and activity

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/transactsql/thread/e204b134-9f99-45a7-9898-1f8531a888bc

My blog

Friday, July 27, 2012 11:04 AM
  • Hi,

just wanted to add my 2 cents here. I just replied on a thread and wonder what i did also contributed a helpful vote at the same time ( more wondering, i didn`t do it as you can`t vote for your own post.

Hannes

If you have got questions about this, just ask.

In a perfect world,
    users would never enter data in the wrong form,
    files they choose to open would always exist
    and code would never have bugs.

C# to VB.NET: http://www.developerfusion.com/tools/convert/csharp-to-vb/

Friday, July 27, 2012 11:54 AM
  • Hi All, Yesterday we updated Forums bits and as part of that deployment some of our SQL queries started to time out. We got the problem fixed late at night and kept monitoring the site without seeing the issue again.

Activity is working fine now. Definitely there was a glitch caused by the issue during yesterday’s deployment. Please let us know if someone is still experiencing missing points or activity.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Community Forums QA

Friday, July 27, 2012 4:32 PM
  • Hi Eduardo,

Thanks for your reply.

I can not see update in my profile and today many threads are answered but not getting update in profile. you can see some of the links in my previous post.

Hope it will update soon

Friday, July 27, 2012 4:57 PM
  • Hi Hemendra, yes there is a bunch of previous posts that were not reflected on the activity, yesterday ones caused by the glitch on the deployments process.

I am trying to confirm that the issue is not happening anymore. I see that this post I am replying is reflected in your activities, so I believe we are good.

For all those post that you listed above, I just filed a bug to follow up.

Regards,

Community Forums QA

Friday, July 27, 2012 5:58 PM
  • Hi Eduardo,

>For all those post that you listed above, I just filed a bug to follow up.

Thanks for quick reply. If it is a bug so can you please tell me that will i get my previous update?

Friday, July 27, 2012 6:12 PM
  • @ Eduardo,

"Unexpected error" still persists ! Auto "Alert Me" function is also not working when I reply to any thread.

Saturday, July 28, 2012 5:36 AM
  • On the Technet site, the problem seems to be resolved.

Saturday, July 28, 2012 5:44 AM
  • @ Eduardo,

"Unexpected error" still persists ! Auto "Alert Me" function is also not working when I reply to any thread.

Take the word 'msdn.' out of your URL, reload the page, and you will most likely not receive the "Unexpected error".

Saturday, July 28, 2012 5:50 AM
  • I should have posted the forum link before, still issue continues

General

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winservergen/threads

Saturday, July 28, 2012 5:53 AM
  • I miss at least 2 quick answers in my activity and points. I suppose to have 40 points more as 2 answers were not counted. I have both threads listed in this thread.

My blog

Saturday, July 28, 2012 6:42 PM
  • Do you think there is a chance to get the missing points back at some time or just consider them lost? I had that situation in the past also.

My blog

Saturday, July 28, 2012 6:43 PM
  • Unexpected errors seems to have been disappeared however, still there are discrepancies in updating points.

Sunday, July 29, 2012 6:00 AM
  • Here is a thread on which OP confirmed my reply as an answer however I didnt get points for that and even that activity didnt reflect in my activity feed. 

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winservergen/thread/ea6d634d-92e9-40fd-a13e-ac5ad706cf76

This is just an instance; I am not sure how many points have I lost because of this discrepancy :( will I got those lost points at some point of time in future or have those points been lost for eternity ?

Monday, July 30, 2012 3:05 AM
  • Answer statistics in my profile is NOT updating properly as well ! :(

Monday, July 30, 2012 3:11 AM
  • Just an update !

I have noticed that, points for helpful posts are being updated but just not all the marked answers.

Monday, July 30, 2012 3:48 AM
  • I just added a link to the bug I mentioned above pointing to this thread. For my follow up, the bug number is 75115.

Regards,

Community Forums QA

Monday, July 30, 2012 9:16 PM
  • Thanks Eduardo

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 11:18 AM
  • Hi Eduardo,

It is happening again and my profile statics is not updating. No points, no reply link and answer.

please look into this

Thursday, August 2, 2012 8:33 AM
  • Hi Eduardo,

It is happening again and my profile statics is not updating. No points, no reply link and answer.

please look into this

I doubt if this message has reached to people who have subscribed to this thread since, e-mail notifications are also not working at present !

Email alerts not working (again)

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/reportabug/thread/29dc5671-6b91-4788-b21e-9cbf1537558b

Thursday, August 2, 2012 11:07 AM
  • One more thread wherein OP marked my reply as answer, NO points yet !

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winservergen/thread/1953b1f5-cc43-4d25-a53c-a692c22dd627

Another one

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winservergen/thread/3a54022b-e56a-4435-be34-2e7e36283d78

Thursday, August 2, 2012 12:45 PM