WHS and TiVo RRS feed

• Question

• WHS has a lot of power when connecting to devices like XBox 360 and Home Media Center but I happen to be a TiVo user. In fact I have two Tivos in my house. I hope MS doesn't get mad at me for this post because I'm not using Home Media Center as my home PVR. In order for me to use WHS as the complete solution for my home, I needed the hook from the server to my Tivo boxes. Fortunately, I was able to install the Tivo Desktop client and an agent called Tivo.Net on my WHS box and it runs perfectly. Thanks MS....so far WHS is a real gem. I can't wait until its official release.

Monday, March 12, 2007 2:33 AM

Answers

•  Docman22 wrote:

WHS has a lot of power when connecting to devices like XBox 360 and Home Media Center but I happen to be a TiVo user. In fact I have two Tivos in my house. I hope MS doesn't get mad at me for this post because I'm not using Home Media Center as my home PVR. In order for me to use WHS as the complete solution for my home, I needed the hook from the server to my Tivo boxes. Fortunately, I was able to install the Tivo Desktop client and an agent called Tivo.Net on my WHS box and it runs perfectly. Thanks MS....so far WHS is a real gem. I can't wait until its official release.

I have installed the TIVO Desktop software onto my WHS box and it works fine. You should be able to use UNC paths for your Photo and Music shortcuts. The Video sharing comes from that special TIVO video folder, and that can be placed under the \\server\videos path.

Because the TIVO software runs as a service it will just start when your WHS boots up. You won't need to remote in to the server to start any software.

In practical use the Photo and Music sharing work as they would while running from a desktop PC. No change here, other than its running 24/7 on WHS.

The Video is a little different. If you want to sent your video recordings from your TIVO to WHS then you will need to remote into WHS, start TIVO Desktop, then manually select the recordings to transfer as usual. You could always setup the "automatically transfer this series" option in the TIVO Desktop software and that would probably work. If you are just viewing video material already in your special TIVO folder in WHS then that will obviously work without you having to remote the server first.

Monday, March 12, 2007 11:56 AM

All replies

• Thanks much for posting this.  I am also a Tivo user but was hesitant of installing the Tivo software at this point as I'm still having issues with some basic functions on WHS.  I'll install and give it a shot.... And thanks also for the mention of Tivo.NET.  I wasn't aware of it. 

On another note, did you try Galleon on WHS?
    Monday, March 12, 2007 3:18 AM
  •  Pool Shark wrote:
    Thanks much for posting this.  I am also a Tivo user but was hesitant of installing the Tivo software at this point as I'm still having issues with some basic functions on WHS.  I'll install and give it a shot.... And thanks also for the mention of Tivo.NET.  I wasn't aware of it. 

On another note, did you try Galleon on WHS?

I've been debating putting Galleon on the WHS as well. I'm suspicious of a Java memory leak though. It seems like my XP machine running Galleon often ran out of virtual memory. It was recently recycled and became the WHS machine, so I'm using a different machine to serve MP3's via TivoDesktop.

s

Monday, March 12, 2007 4:52 AM
  •  Docman22 wrote:

WHS has a lot of power when connecting to devices like XBox 360 and Home Media Center but I happen to be a TiVo user. In fact I have two Tivos in my house. I hope MS doesn't get mad at me for this post because I'm not using Home Media Center as my home PVR. In order for me to use WHS as the complete solution for my home, I needed the hook from the server to my Tivo boxes. Fortunately, I was able to install the Tivo Desktop client and an agent called Tivo.Net on my WHS box and it runs perfectly. Thanks MS....so far WHS is a real gem. I can't wait until its official release.

How did you handle file access. I thought you weren't supposed to access any local files except through the UNC share name? Did you point Tivo Desktop from My Documents\My Tivo Recordings to \\servername\sharename\...?

Monday, March 12, 2007 4:56 AM
  •  Docman22 wrote:

I have installed the TIVO Desktop software onto my WHS box and it works fine. You should be able to use UNC paths for your Photo and Music shortcuts. The Video sharing comes from that special TIVO video folder, and that can be placed under the \\server\videos path.

Because the TIVO software runs as a service it will just start when your WHS boots up. You won't need to remote in to the server to start any software.

In practical use the Photo and Music sharing work as they would while running from a desktop PC. No change here, other than its running 24/7 on WHS.

The Video is a little different. If you want to sent your video recordings from your TIVO to WHS then you will need to remote into WHS, start TIVO Desktop, then manually select the recordings to transfer as usual. You could always setup the "automatically transfer this series" option in the TIVO Desktop software and that would probably work. If you are just viewing video material already in your special TIVO folder in WHS then that will obviously work without you having to remote the server first.

Monday, March 12, 2007 11:56 AM
  • I have used Galleon both on my Windows XP server and a Linux (Suse 10.1) box. I ran into issues and I heard it wasn't supported anymore. I went back to the Tivo desktop client because the menus and icons seemed cooler... I haven't tried Galleon on WHS. The only disadvantage to the TiVo desktop client is that someone has to be logged in as a user to run. It won't start as a service at the login screen. One of the posts sounded like the Tivo desktop client starts as a service (I know Tivo.Net does) but I haven't figured that out yet. By default, WHS stops at the login screen, I haven't taken the time to figure out an autologon.

If you check into Tivo.Net, stick with 0.9.1a for now. The latest releases have had some bugs. The only bug in 0.9.1a is the size it reports to the Tivo when it starts the transfer. The Tivo thinks you might fill the disk and asks to delete shows earlier than scheduled. It won't do that, after the file gets transfered there's no conflict. Tivo.Net is the greatest thing since "sliced bread" and WHS.....

Tuesday, March 13, 2007 12:41 AM
  • I just pointed the Tivo client to the shared Video folder. It seems to work fine. I did the same thing on my XP box. It didn't have a conflict with being "shared" by Windows and available to the Tivo.

Tuesday, March 13, 2007 12:43 AM
  • This is another example of the benefits of having an "always on" server.  I've used Tivo for years, but it seemed that whenever I wanted to show pictures, my desktop acting as the Tivo server wasn't running. 

Thanks for reminding me to try Tivo on WHS.

Tuesday, March 13, 2007 12:52 AM
  • My Tivo 3 is on the truck for delivery and I'm looking for information on using it with WHS, anyone have any advice?

Thanks in advance.

Tuesday, July 3, 2007 3:34 PM
  • I'm using WHS with my Tivo Series 3.  I just installed the latest desktop (2.4a), installed the JRE from java.com, and enabled HD Photos.  The app displays just fine on my Series 3.

I'm only using it for photos at the moment and pointed the TiVo Desktop to the photos share.

After WHS goes final, I will most likely purchase a copy (depending on price, and I haven't seen what the suggested retail might be) and use it to share out both my photos and music.

.../Ed

Sunday, July 8, 2007 9:15 PM
  • I have music and photos working with Desktop 2.4a and WHS.  No video features seem to work as yet, I am yet hopeful.

Sunday, July 8, 2007 10:45 PM
  • Did you ever get an answer? This is what I've settled on..

Tivo Desktop doesn't like running as a service. I've tried all the solutions to put a wrapper around it, etc, etc. Since WHS won't auto log you on as a specific user, Tivo Desktop won't get all of its services started. I've settled on Galleon. The latest version seems very solid. It will auto-start when the system reboots. I've also installed Tivo.net which also starts up as a service and handles most of the video that Tivo Desktop and Galleon won't handle. They've been running now for a month or so and have had no problems.

Jeff.

Sunday, July 22, 2007 5:12 PM
  • I have had problems getting Galleon to work correctly on WHS.  It seems to configure correctly at the server, and shows up on the TiVo screen.  However when I click on it, it just times out and does not show any of the apps that I have installed.  Did you have to do any extra configuration to get it to work correctly in WHS?

Friday, September 21, 2007 5:03 PM
  • I've tried getting the Tivo Desktop software to run as a service, and have not been successful. I get around this by logging into WHS as the Administrator and leaving the session running. I've been doing this since I started in the beta for WHS since March, and haven't run into any problems.
    Friday, September 21, 2007 9:59 PM
  • There is a add in for Tivo. I have been using it for a while

and it works great.

look at this link

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1860790&SiteID=50

Friday, September 21, 2007 10:09 PM
  • The TiVo Desktop 2.5 works fine with the exception of transferring files from the TiVo to WHS.  It make the WHS totally unresponsive for me, I can't even open a shared folder while the transfer is taking place.  Has anyone else seen this happen?

Tuesday, September 25, 2007 4:10 PM
  •  

I am surprised you were able to get TiVo Desktop 2.5 to install on WHS.  I tried for a few days to get it installed and it never would.  I went back to TiVo Desktop 2.4a and it worked fine.  Then, I switched to the TiVo Publisher add-in along with PyTiVo.
    Tuesday, September 25, 2007 4:31 PM
  • Did you run the cleanup tool they provide after unistalling 2.4a?

Tuesday, September 25, 2007 5:09 PM
  •  

I didn't know they had a cleanup tool available.  But now, with the TiVo Publisher, I don't know why I would use the Desktop.
    Wednesday, September 26, 2007 12:38 PM
  • I have downloaded TiVo addon for WHS, but have not installed it as yet, so far TiVo desktop seems to work ok, the only problem I have with it is transfers from the TiVo to WHS initiated by TiVo desktop on WHS.

Wednesday, September 26, 2007 4:20 PM
  •  mpf54 wrote:
    There is a add in for TiVo. I have been using it for a while

and it works great.

look at this link

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1860790&SiteID=50

I put it in today and it allows more video formats to be viewed via the TiVo than desktop 2.5 did.  I had looked at it before but never actually put it in until today.  By the way, thanks mpf54.

Thursday, September 27, 2007 7:22 AM
  • I'm using the WHS TiVo Publisher Add-In too, and it works great.

Has anyone figured out how to make it work for wma audio files? I tried installing the TiVo Desktop Universal Audio Plug-In (TDUAP), but that doesn't work.

Or, has anyone tried TiVo Desktop 2.5 and TDUAP on WHS?

Friday, October 5, 2007 9:39 PM