My Windows version has no activation tool RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I ordered Windows XP Pro thru the WGA program and received the mail with the code.

I followd the link provided and started the KeyUpdateTool. This told me there was an error with the activation and I had to restart my system and activate by hand.

Now my problem is; I have no activation tool. The KeyUpdateTool left a not working shortcut in my start menu (C:\Windows\System32\%SYSTEMROOT%...etc.) that (should have) pointed to the System32\oobe\msoobe.exe program.
    This directory exists but it is almost empty and it contains no executables.

Clicking the icon in the notification area also points me (eventually) to the msoobe program.

Can someone tell me how to activat my system?

Thanks in advance,
    Marcel

Tuesday, August 22, 2006 4:56 PM

Answers

•  Marcel B wrote:

Hello,

I ordered Windows XP Pro thru the WGA program and received the mail with the code.

I followd the link provided and started the KeyUpdateTool. This told me there was an error with the activation and I had to restart my system and activate by hand.

Now my problem is; I have no activation tool. The KeyUpdateTool left a not working shortcut in my start menu (C:\Windows\System32\%SYSTEMROOT%...etc.) that (should have) pointed to the System32\oobe\msoobe.exe program.

Clicking the icon in the notification area also points me (eventually) to the msoobe program.

Thanks in advance,
    Marcel

Alternatively, you can open the Windows Product Activation Wizard by clicking Start, then Run, and then typing "oobe/msoobe /a" and then press the Enter key on your keyboard.

Tuesday, August 22, 2006 5:19 PM
  • Marcel:

Thanks for the feedback! I'll be sure to keep this in our documentation and update the web-pages accordingly, should the problem appear more frequently.

-phil

Tuesday, August 22, 2006 6:29 PM
  • Old thread, but same issue.

Carey, thanks a lot for your hint of how to "manually" activate XP.

I have upgraded the RAM of my PC to 2 Gb an hour or so ago, and XP Home told me to (re-)activate Windows.

Problem was: there is no shortcut in my START menu...

I have been Googling for the solution for more than an hour. It is your explanation that helped getting there.

Excellent!

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 6:05 PM

All replies

• Tuesday, August 22, 2006 5:16 PM
  •  Marcel B wrote:

Hello,

Thanks in advance,
    Marcel

Alternatively, you can open the Windows Product Activation Wizard by clicking Start, then Run, and then typing "oobe/msoobe /a" and then press the Enter key on your keyboard.

Tuesday, August 22, 2006 5:19 PM
  • Nope, my system has no activation tool. It was a corporate version.

I might have solved the problem. I simply copied the oobe directory from my laptop (first had to use the freeware unlocker tool to rename the almost empty oobe directory because the WinLogon process locked the directory) and activated the system. It said I successfully activated my system.

The only thing is the Activation Icon is still in the tray.

I will reboot now and let you all know if it worked.......

Edit after reboot:
    ==============

Y E S   I T   W O R K E D !

The WGA icon is gone from my tray end the System applet says Windows is registered to me.

So for everybody who installed a Corporate version whitch doesn't have an activation program and registered with a, now blocked, Volume License Key; find a system that has the activation tool and copy the complete C:\Windows\System32\oobe directory to your system and enter the new product code the way Microsoft tells you to in the mail with the product code.

Problem fixed!

Tuesday, August 22, 2006 5:30 PM
  • Marcel:

Thanks for the feedback! I'll be sure to keep this in our documentation and update the web-pages accordingly, should the problem appear more frequently.

-phil

Tuesday, August 22, 2006 6:29 PM
  • Old thread, but same issue.

Carey, thanks a lot for your hint of how to "manually" activate XP.

I have upgraded the RAM of my PC to 2 Gb an hour or so ago, and XP Home told me to (re-)activate Windows.

Problem was: there is no shortcut in my START menu...

I have been Googling for the solution for more than an hour. It is your explanation that helped getting there.

Excellent!

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 6:05 PM