pool record in dns! RRS feed

• Question

• Hello
    I want to install ocs 2007 enterprise edition and I want to know what is my pool record and its ip that I must register in dns, my lab consist of three servers below:
    I have a domain controller named dc.contoso.com (10.10.10.1)
    an ocs server name ocs.contoso.com (10.10.10.30)
    and a back end database named db.contoso.com(sql 2005 sp1) (10.10.10.35)
    and my pool name is pool.contoso.com
    now I want to register pool.contoso.com in dns but I don't know what is my ip for pool: ocs ip(10.10.10.30) or db ip(10.10.10.35)
    I don't have any load balancer and only I have on pool and on front-end server
    thank you

Sunday, November 11, 2007 11:45 AM

Answers

•  

With only one EE server in your infrastructure, you have options. You could just have the pool as ocs.contoso.com, or create an A record for pool.consoso.com and use pool.consotos.com for your SIP domain.

The back end DB needs an A record so the FE server(s) can find it of course.

HTH

Sunday, November 11, 2007 1:29 PM
  • The 'pool' should be pointing to the OCS front-end server(s), NOT the SQL back-end server.

The configuration that offers the most flexibility would be to configure a pool name and IP address now so that if you add a second Enterprise Front-End server later you won't have to re-configure OCS, or any Communicator clients if you aren't leveraging automatic configuration.

I would bind an additional IP address to your OCS front-end server, as in 10.10.10.31, and then create an A record in your internal DNS domain for pool.contoso.com pointing to that IP.  Then when (if) you add a second OCS front-end for redundancy later on, you can simply move that pool IP address to the hardware load balancer and no reconfiguration of DNS or clients will be needed.

Sunday, November 11, 2007 3:11 PM

All replies

•  

With only one EE server in your infrastructure, you have options. You could just have the pool as ocs.contoso.com, or create an A record for pool.consoso.com and use pool.consotos.com for your SIP domain.

The back end DB needs an A record so the FE server(s) can find it of course.

HTH

Sunday, November 11, 2007 1:29 PM
  • The 'pool' should be pointing to the OCS front-end server(s), NOT the SQL back-end server.

The configuration that offers the most flexibility would be to configure a pool name and IP address now so that if you add a second Enterprise Front-End server later you won't have to re-configure OCS, or any Communicator clients if you aren't leveraging automatic configuration.

I would bind an additional IP address to your OCS front-end server, as in 10.10.10.31, and then create an A record in your internal DNS domain for pool.contoso.com pointing to that IP.  Then when (if) you add a second OCS front-end for redundancy later on, you can simply move that pool IP address to the hardware load balancer and no reconfiguration of DNS or clients will be needed.

Sunday, November 11, 2007 3:11 PM
  • Dear Thomas Lee
    many thanks for your good help
    Monday, November 12, 2007 7:08 AM
  • Dear Jeff Schertz
    many thanks for your good help
    Monday, November 12, 2007 7:09 AM