none
Should I use the sync framework or not? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've been looking at the sync framework, but I'm not yet convinced that this is the way to go for me.

Basically what I want do is to sync information from a local Gupta SQL Base database to a SQL Azure instance in the cloud. This will be a one way synchronisation, so there will be only data going to the cloud. A couple of notes:

- I cannot change a thing in the clients database (the SQL base one).

- The data retrieved has to to based on sql statements. I'd rather create views but as stated: I can't alter the database in any way.

- The data has to be periodically synchronised to the cloud.

- On the client side, the software shouldn't be much more then a downloadable installer with a config tool to set the correct parameters.

- Not all tables contain evidence telling me when a record last changed.

So basically, lot's of freedom on the server side, not so much on the client side. I tried to find some good examples, but the documentation on msdn seems to alway assume that there's an option to change the database.

Before I found the sync framework as an option, I was going to use this approach:

- Use an odbc connection to query the database based upon a view

- Store the resultset as a datatable in XML on disk

- Query the database again

- Compare the new datatable to the stored one

- Sync the changes via webservices

So now the question is: what benefits would I have from using the sync framework instead of my own idea? One big plus would be a way to reduce server load, because querying everything all over each time is quite a heavy process.

MCTS Web Application Development, SharePoint enthousiast.
    Tuesday, September 6, 2011 7:46 PM