will changing my motherboard and adding a 2nd CPU create problem with my windows xp home validation RRS feed

• Question

• I'm about to change my motherboard and thinking of getting one that accpects 2 CPUs. Therefore I will have a new motherboard and a 2nd, better cpu to go along with it. I read somehwere that the OS is attached to the computer's hardware configuration. Assuming this is true, what do I do about my original oem version of windows xp home?

P.S. I am not sure about the 2nd CPU becuase if I can't keep my current CPU I may just keep it--or maybe replace it as well.

thank you
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 7:40 AM

Answers

• Windows XP Home Edition can only support one (1) physical CPU.  That one CPU can be a multicore processor and it will work fine.  Upgrading both your motherboard and CPU will most likely require a "clean install" of Windows XP.
    Carey Frisch
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 3:05 PM

All replies

• Windows XP Home Edition can only support one (1) physical CPU.  That one CPU can be a multicore processor and it will work fine.  Upgrading both your motherboard and CPU will most likely require a "clean install" of Windows XP.
    Carey Frisch
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 3:05 PM
  • Hello pintrees,

Carey is correct, but from a Licensing point of view, there are some other complications.

First off, some background information: Microsoft sees the Motherboard as the Key Component of a computer (basically, it IS the computer). So, if a motherboard is replace, a 'New' computer is created. (the Motherboard is the only component that does it)

If your copy of XP is a Retail version, then you have no licensing issue. You can use it on any number of computers as you wish, So Long As it's Only Installed On One Computer At a Time.

If the copy of XP is OEM (either came pre-installed on the computer or was bought as an OEM System Builder bundle) it can only Licensed to be used on the first computer it was installed on.  (It would no longer be licensed on that computer if the computer's motherboard was replaced)

Hope that answers your questions,
    Darin MS 

Thursday, June 25, 2009 8:04 PM