High Availibility RRS feed

• Question

• Just wondering what options do I have running OCS Standard Edition and making it highly available, the Enterprise Edition doesn't fit my requirements. I am leaning to running the server on a VM. What are everyones thoughts reagrding virtual OCS or is there any other ways of getting Standard Edition with HA?

Cheers
    Monday, April 13, 2009 11:50 PM

All replies

• What requirements are not met by an EE deployment?  Going virtual with any of the server roles (especially any media-related roles) seems to me as a reverse step in relation to HA.
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 2:33 PM
  • The sheer amount of servers running EE makes it hard to sell into 1000 seat user environments.
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 11:56 PM
  • Ah, gotcha.  For a 1000 seat deployment I typically go with a consolidated Standard Edition, but that doesn't cover any HA scenarios.  Currently the only way to get any level of redundancy is to have multiple servers via Enterpirse Edition.  Using SE you could create a hot-spare FE server but that would require a manual failover (via DNS record updates and user moves between pools). 

A pair of EE consolidated server for FE redundancy is the best scenario as only 2 servers are needed, but the required HLB does add additional costs.

No server roles are as of yet supported virtualied, but many people are doing it either in test or even production.  But for 1000 users you clearly don't want to virtualize any of the media-handling components as time-sensitive audio/video traffic does no fair well form the added layer of processing within a virtual/physical combination.
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 1:57 PM
  • Maybe I will have to look into a product like neverfail? Or I could deploy 2 Standard Servers and if one fails manually move the users over?
    Monday, April 27, 2009 3:58 AM