Really strange cause of Firefox validation error.. RRS feed

• General discussion

• I run as non-admin, so I'll throw that out there. Ever since Firefox 2.0.0.8 I've been unable to validate using the Firefox WGA Plugin with an 0x80080101 error. IE7 worked fine, as did Firefox as administrator.

I tried running Process Monitor to see where there was a permission problem. None that I could tell for sure.

The cause of the error: I use Adblock Plus, and the browser status bar hangs with this for a while: "Transferring data from c.microsoft.com...", and Adblock was causing it to hang like that. Firefox successfully validates if I press escape to stop it or wait it out, but if the status bar says "Transferring data from c.microsoft.com..." when I click Validate, it will fail. Usually I have always been clicking "Download" in no time since when I visit a download page it doesn't take me more than a nanosecond to decide what I am going to do. Updating to FF 2.0.0.8-10 probably had nothing to actually do with it.

P.S., the Firefox WGA plugin install is extremely hard to find even using a Google search, and the "Download plug-in" button does not always download the plug-in but instead goes to a page with the alternate method with GenuineCheck.exe, and I am sure that this has nothing to do with any other plugins since I tried it on a fresh profile. The plugin installer will pop up maybe only once ever and after that it takes me to the alternate method instead of offering the plugin download.
    Wednesday, November 28, 2007 7:26 AM

All replies

• I could not validate using 2.0.0.11. I reinstalled my saved copy of WGAPluginInstall.exe to no avail.

Going through the process from the beginning, I now find that WGAPluginInstall.exe is 861KB not 859KB. In addition, there is an OGAPluginInstall.exe that is required to be installed as well.

After running both of these installs, Firefox 2.0.0.11 now validates.

There was no indication from WGA that an updated version was required. It acted as if the old version simply wasn't there.

Monday, December 10, 2007 9:03 PM
  • Kmarsh,

Is all well for now?  Please try the validation process by using Internet Explorer.  Also in the future you may need to manually download WGA by following the below information:

Resolution Steps for Manual ActiveX Installation WGA

Are you having complications loading the Active X control? I would like to provide the following information and steps for you to follow to attempt resolving this issue.

Step 1: OGA Manual ActiveX Installation

1.      Click the Start button, then click “Run”

2.      Type in “iexplore http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=39204” then click ‘OK’. You will be prompted to download “LegitCheckControl.cab”.

3.      Choose Open. Once this completes, a window will open showing two files, LegitCheckControl.dll and LegitCheckControl.inf. Leave this window open for now.

4.      Click the Start button, then click “Run”

5.      Type in “system32”, then click ‘OK’. (If you are running Windows XP, you may need to click “show files” to allow access to this system directory.)

6.      Drag the LegitCheckControl.dll file from the window that was open into the system32 directory. If you are prompted to overwrite a file, choose ‘Yes’ to overwrite any existing file. (If you are running Vista, you may be prompted to provide administrator permission to complete the action. If so, press “Continue” and allow it.)

7.      Click the Start button, then click “Run”

8.      Type “regsvr32 LegitCheckControl.dll”, and then click ‘OK’.

9.      You should see a dialog saying “DllRegisterServer in LegitCheckControl.dll succeeded.”

After you finish the above steps please restart the computer and try to validate Windows again: http://www.microsoft.com/genuine. Please locate the “Validate Windows” button in the upper right hand corner. Double click on the button and follow the guidance. Were you able to pass Windows Validation successfully?

Should you have additional problems please review the knowledge base (KB) article “How to activate Windows XP” located @ http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307890&sd=techh .      

Restart the computer and contact the Microsoft Activation Center to re-activate Windows should there be problems should you need assistance. Activation and registration of a Microsoft product is located @:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326851/en-us . 

The Office Activation Center can be reached at (888) 652-2342 from 8:00 AM to 10:00 PM Pacific Time

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Monday, December 10, 2007 11:37 PM