My WHS Install is suffering from mistaken identity since last Windows Update RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Basically (as far as I can work out) since my last Windows Update on Jan 12, I have not been able to install anything meant for Windows Home Server. And as such, any installer program that checks for the identity of my installed OS rejects me saying that i'm not running the right version of Windows.

Windows Update also now errors, not only from the WHS Console (it says that it cannot complete installation of an update and suggests a restart), but if I RDP in and check on windowsupdate.com it fails with Error number: 0x80004005.

I just need to know which registry key (I was looking at HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version under ProductName which says Microsoft Windows Server 2003) has been altered and the replacement info so I can get it back up to speed.

Extensive searches have failed to find any information on this problem.

Thanks,

neolithic

Thursday, January 29, 2009 1:53 AM

All replies

• Neolithic said:

Hi,

Basically (as far as I can work out) since my last Windows Update on Jan 12, I have not been able to install anything meant for Windows Home Server. And as such, any installer program that checks for the identity of my installed OS rejects me saying that i'm not running the right version of Windows.

Windows Update also now errors, not only from the WHS Console (it says that it cannot complete installation of an update and suggests a restart), but if I RDP in and check on windowsupdate.com it fails with Error number: 0x80004005.

I just need to know which registry key (I was looking at HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version under ProductName which says Microsoft Windows Server 2003) has been altered and the replacement info so I can get it back up to speed.

Extensive searches have failed to find any information on this problem.

Thanks,

neolithic

Can you submit a bug on Connect for this? Please be sure to include server CABs.

Thanks! 

Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Thursday, January 29, 2009 3:05 AM
  • Done at ID 407124.

The primary issue (which isn't REALLY that big a deal right now...) is that I seemingly can't update Windows.
    Thursday, January 29, 2009 3:57 AM