Continuing requests for Revalidation RRS feed

• Question

• Hi - I recently upgraded my ASUS laptop to Vista with a free Vista upgrade.

Vista activated fine, no problems.

However, then I upgraded my memory to 2GB. I was asked to reactivate; the server told me that the key was in use already.

I called up support - I was given a new key.

I tried to activate - no luck.

I called support again - I was asked to go through the phone system.

I did, got a confirmation number, vista activated again.

Now, I have updated some drivers on my computer. Again, windows asked to be reactivated. Again, could not do this via the internet, had to do this through the phone system.

I never had this problem under XP. Will I have this problem each time I update something on my computer?

THis is is now intrusive; what can I do to prevent this happening in future.

Thank you,

COlin

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 9:23 PM

Answers

• Hi McGillca,

It appears you had bad luck with your upgrades. Normally upgrading only the memory on a desktop computer wouldn't trigger a Reactivation scenario, but on a laptop there is a higher chance that it will.  Also it appears that some drivers are significantly changing the Hardware IDs that Vista uses to determine if a significant hardware change has occured.

We appreciate your feedback and I want to assure you that Microsoft IS currently working on making the trigger range, for significant hardware changes, looser so that Reactivation scenarios are less likely to cause an undue impact on users. I am unsure when this will be implemented, but I was just told that it is in the works. 

I am sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 10:54 PM

All replies

• Hi McGillca,

It appears you had bad luck with your upgrades. Normally upgrading only the memory on a desktop computer wouldn't trigger a Reactivation scenario, but on a laptop there is a higher chance that it will.  Also it appears that some drivers are significantly changing the Hardware IDs that Vista uses to determine if a significant hardware change has occured.

We appreciate your feedback and I want to assure you that Microsoft IS currently working on making the trigger range, for significant hardware changes, looser so that Reactivation scenarios are less likely to cause an undue impact on users. I am unsure when this will be implemented, but I was just told that it is in the works. 

I am sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 10:54 PM
  • Thank you for the feedback.

The issue of making the trigger looser would help with half the issue - but why won't the internet activation work, why do I need to resort to going through the phone activation? Why will the phone activation give me acccess automatically, when the internet won't?

If the automatic reactivation worked, this would be much less intrusive.

Colin

Thursday, November 29, 2007 9:22 AM