Moving my windows 7 hard drive to another motherboard RRS feed

• Question

• I don't know if this is the right forum for this, apologies if it isn't.

I am a student, home for Christmas, and needed my files and programs to get my work done. I use an AMD 6 core with a Gigabyte motherboard. When I hooked up my hard drive with windows 7 on it, to a machine with and AMD quad core, on a Gigabyte motherboard. I start it up, and it gets to the 'Starting Windows' splash screen, when it restarts the computer. I've tried system restore, repair with my install disk, plugged my hard drive into another machine and booted it's windows 7, to change the driver to generic, something I read a while ago. Didn't work.

I need to get this working on the machines we have here so I can do some Uni work. Could I reinstall windows, on this new setup? 

Tuesday, December 28, 2010 3:23 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello Singlular1ty,

Your issue is one of installation and activation, it does not have anything to do with Validation.

Please repost in this forum:  http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7install/threads?filter=answered

• Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, December 28, 2010 11:06 PM
    Tuesday, December 28, 2010 3:26 PM
    1. If you were to get this to boot you would be in notification mode due to the fact that the keys is licensed on an existing hardware configuration.
    2. Repair installs of Vista and 7 are not supported (with the exception of an upgrade install from within windows, which requires a succesful boot into windows).
    3. Unless you wait until you get back to school and hook up your drive to the original computer and by some chance your install will still boot then you are in a data recovery mode.

I would advise against installing windows on that drive while booting from someone elses computer, you may end up ruining the installation on that PC or at a minimum breaking the boot sector when windows installs the boot menu for dual booting.

What I would advise is heading down to the local electronics store and grabbing an external SATA (or PATA if applicable) adapter and using that to access the files you need from a functioning computer.

Tuesday, December 28, 2010 6:42 PM
  • I don't know if this is the right forum for this, apologies if it isn't.

I am a student, home for Christmas, and needed my files and programs to get my work done. I use an AMD 6 core with a Gigabyte motherboard. When I hooked up my hard drive with windows 7 on it, to a machine with and AMD quad core, on a Gigabyte motherboard. I start it up, and it gets to the 'Starting Windows' splash screen, when it restarts the computer. I've tried system restore, repair with my install disk, plugged my hard drive into another machine and booted it's windows 7, to change the driver to generic, something I read a while ago. Didn't work.

I need to get this working on the machines we have here so I can do some Uni work. Could I reinstall windows, on this new setup? 

A quick answer is that you can't install and boot from the hard drive on a different computer as the operating system won't allow it.  If you installed Windows anew on the drive you won't be able to put it back on the AMD computer without reinstalling again.    There is always the possibility of corruption when that is done.  If the OS came on the AMD machine originally then it is an OEM version and can't be put on a different motherboard anyhow.

You could put the drive into an external drive bay and use it as a data drive on a different machine.  None of the programs installed on the AMD machine's hard drive will work in this manner though.
    Tuesday, December 28, 2010 6:46 PM
  • LVTravel, you are absolutely correct. Transplanting a existing installation is difficult and in most cases should not be considered. 

OEM's install Windows, applications etc. to "reference" computers, they then "generalize" the installation and grab the image, they then build a windows installation disk that is compatible for the "target" computers.

When someone grabs a hard drive from one computer and places it in another they are breaking the installation (they did not generalize it), they break it by introducing different hardware to the installation. All of the installed drivers are now the wrong drivers.

This is when plug and play becomes plug and pray, 50% of the time you will not even boot and worse than that, many times system restore will not be able to repair the damage and the install will not even boot on the original PC.

When the OEM installs custom configurations on target computers the installation process still goes through all of its hardware recognition and driver installation steps, just swapping the drive attempts, in one boot to navigate through old drivers and new hardware. This often ends badly.

Think about it this way, would you take a donar organ and transpant it to a non-compatable recipient? Windows rejected the new hardware and now it may be damaged and may not boot in the original PC.

All of this said, my existing installation on one of my computers is on its second motherboard so it can be done but it is highly inadvisable (so why did I do it? shrug..).

Anytime you change the hardware hash beyond a predifined threshold you break activation and would have to activate on the new hardware if your license supported that (retail). OEM motherboards can only be changed by the OEM or system builder and must be of the appropriate CPU/Socket generation.

So, basicly swapping drives from one functioning computer to another is just a bad idea.

Tuesday, December 28, 2010 7:25 PM
  • "Carl Stephens" wrote in message news:196d153d-e89a-48db-9320-840c2b82375e...

....my existing installation on one of my computers is on its second motherboard so it can be done but it is highly inadvisable (so why did I do it? shrug..).

You just wanted to play, be honest! <g>

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Wednesday, December 29, 2010 12:58 AM
  • "Carl Stephens" wrote in message news:196d153d-e89a-48db-9320-840c2b82375e...

....my existing installation on one of my computers is on its second motherboard so it can be done but it is highly inadvisable (so why did I do it? shrug..).

You just wanted to play, be honest! <g>

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth

Too much time on my hands.
    Wednesday, December 29, 2010 1:23 PM