Parallels and Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I purchased a parallels program for my Macbook as well as Windows for my college's bookstore. I had the program installed on my computer through the stores computer services.  However, when I open Windows 7 through the parallel, it loads, on the bottom right corner it says that it is not a genuine copy.  Is there anything I can do? The reason I bought it in the first place was to be able to use a program that can only run on Windows.  I installed it seems to be running smoothly, but I am worried that later on I may run into problems because of the copy "not being genuine." 

Thursday, August 25, 2011 8:09 PM

Answers

• In "Upgrade" version of Windows 7 can only be properly licensed if it is used to upgrade a qualifying Windows XP or Vista installation.  In order to resolve your issue, you'll need to purchase a conventional retail Windows 7 "Full Version" license.

P.S.  The "store's computer services" should know better than doing what they did.  It's a college for crying out loud!

Carey Frisch

Friday, August 26, 2011 1:53 AM

All replies

• Did you purchase a Windows 7 "Full License" edition or an "Upgrade" edition of Windows 7?
    Carey Frisch
    Thursday, August 25, 2011 8:21 PM
  • My understanding is that it is a Full License.  I bought the student version from the college bookstore where I attend.
    Thursday, August 25, 2011 8:33 PM
  • "Ocram24" wrote in message news:8096ec26-32f4-4876-a30f-e0f9f7cacab6...
    My understanding is that it is a Full License.  I bought the student version from the college bookstore where I attend.

Check the disk – it will tell you if it’s an Upgrade version (most MSDNAA versions are)

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Thursday, August 25, 2011 9:19 PM
  • It is an Upgrade version
    Friday, August 26, 2011 1:36 AM
  • In "Upgrade" version of Windows 7 can only be properly licensed if it is used to upgrade a qualifying Windows XP or Vista installation.  In order to resolve your issue, you'll need to purchase a conventional retail Windows 7 "Full Version" license.

P.S.  The "store's computer services" should know better than doing what they did.  It's a college for crying out loud!

Carey Frisch

Friday, August 26, 2011 1:53 AM
  • Thank you for your help!  I'll looking into it with them.
    Friday, August 26, 2011 2:26 AM