Load balancing & disk usage... RRS feed

• Question

• I have 4 disks in my server, my primary disk is a 1.5tb, pooled with 2x 750gb and a non pooled 500gb backup...

Now not all of my shares have duplicaiton turned on, and one if these shares is about 500gb... I have about 120gb of duplicated shares.

Looking at disk useage:

Disk 0  1.397tb  -  1%
    Disk 1    698gb  -  87%
    Disk 2    698gb  -  15%

This doesnt really appear to be balanced very well!!!  I was expecting to see mor of the primary disk being used.. otherwise it seems a bit of a waste!!

I assumed, regardless of duplication, that distribution would be relatively even across the disks...??

DrSoton
    Thursday, February 19, 2009 6:57 PM

Answers

• DrSoton said:

I have 4 disks in my server, my primary disk is a 1.5tb, pooled with 2x 750gb and a non pooled 500gb backup...

Now not all of my shares have duplicaiton turned on, and one if these shares is about 500gb... I have about 120gb of duplicated shares.

Looking at disk useage:

Disk 0  1.397tb  -  1%
    Disk 1    698gb  -  87%
    Disk 2    698gb  -  15%

This doesnt really appear to be balanced very well!!!

That's because "balancing" is not an accurate term.  "Balancing" refers to making sure files are properly duplicated, there are no file conflicts, etc.  It's working as designed.

DrSoton said:

I was expecting to see mor of the primary disk being used.. otherwise it seems a bit of a waste!!

I don't add a drive in my server until the other drives are nearly full.  You might try removing one of your 750 GB drives if you are concerned about wasting space.  (You can always add it later on when your server is nearly full.)

DrSoton said:

I assumed, regardless of duplication, that distribution would be relatively even across the disks...??

DrSoton

• Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Thursday, February 19, 2009 7:21 PM
    • Marked as answer by DrSoton Friday, February 20, 2009 8:43 AM
    Thursday, February 19, 2009 7:20 PM

All replies

• DrSoton said:

I have 4 disks in my server, my primary disk is a 1.5tb, pooled with 2x 750gb and a non pooled 500gb backup...

Looking at disk useage:

Disk 0  1.397tb  -  1%
    Disk 1    698gb  -  87%
    Disk 2    698gb  -  15%

This doesnt really appear to be balanced very well!!!

That's because "balancing" is not an accurate term.  "Balancing" refers to making sure files are properly duplicated, there are no file conflicts, etc.  It's working as designed.

DrSoton said:

I was expecting to see mor of the primary disk being used.. otherwise it seems a bit of a waste!!

I don't add a drive in my server until the other drives are nearly full.  You might try removing one of your 750 GB drives if you are concerned about wasting space.  (You can always add it later on when your server is nearly full.)

DrSoton said:

DrSoton

• Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Thursday, February 19, 2009 7:21 PM
    • Marked as answer by DrSoton Friday, February 20, 2009 8:43 AM
    Thursday, February 19, 2009 7:20 PM
  • So if I were to remove disk 2, which appears to be holding the duplications, would the system automatically copy these file to disk 0?

I thought having the largest disk as disk 0 would be best, but as it is not the first to be filled, maybe I would be best not using this as the primary... 

Im still within my 30 day pre-activaiton tinker period, so am looking for best setup prior to activation...
    DrSoton

Need to adapt my mindset away from desktop environment, logical disk arrangement and partitioning... and just see the space as one big drive...!!!
    Thursday, February 19, 2009 7:50 PM
  • DrSoton said:

So if I were to remove disk 2, which appears to be holding the duplications, would the system automatically copy these file to disk 0?

I thought having the largest disk as disk 0 would be best, but as it is not the first to be filled, maybe I would be best not using this as the primary... 

Im still within my 30 day pre-activaiton tinker period, so am looking for best setup prior to activation...

DrSoton

Need to adapt my mindset away from desktop environment, logical disk arrangement and partitioning... and just see the space as one big drive...!!!

Hi,
    yes, if you remove disk 2 through the console, the duplicated files will be moved to drive d: on disk 0.
    The largest disk was recommended as system disk before Power Pack 1 (and would make a certain sense also now, since the system disk will be replaced rather seldom).
    But since Power Pack 1 WHS tries to distribute the data away from the system disk in a 3 disk scenario, so that in case of a disk failure on the system drive the server can be recovered with a server reinstall without loosing data.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, February 19, 2009 8:30 PM