Unable to restore RRS feed

• Question

• Ok, so here is the deal, and I am fairly certain that this is just the way it is going to be.

I have my gaming computer, with had 2 500 gig HDD's in a raid array and in testing things i decided to see what the restore process was like, as well as wanting to get more HDD space on WHS, so i decided to pull one of the 500 gig hdds from the array and am going to put that in the WHS ... Mean while I am attempting to restore the game cd from the restore cd every thing works like a charm untill i get to the "Choose Volumes to Restore" screen ... at wich point it seems to be saying i can not restore to a single 500 gig hdd because the backup was marked as being from a 931 gig data set ...

Now i can see why WHS whould be hesitant about this if the data doesnt fit ... but shouldnt there be some sort of check against this to see if the data would / should still be restorable? (fyi the amount of data that was on the 2x500 R0 array was only 97 gigs wich means that even a single 500 would be more than sufficient ... at any rate im stuck at a point of no return now as i have formatted the 500 gig disk, i supose i can still put the 500 gig back in but that doesnt make things any "better" ... what if some one had a larger disk than a replacement disk in a failed hdd enviroment ... now they are totally unable to restore?

sorry if i rambled and left to much out, let me know if you need more details.
    Sunday, November 18, 2007 7:42 PM

Answers

•  tenjin wrote:
    Ok, so here is the deal, and I am fairly certain that this is just the way it is going to be.

I have my gaming computer, with had 2 500 gig HDD's in a raid array and in testing things i decided to see what the restore process was like, as well as wanting to get more HDD space on WHS, so i decided to pull one of the 500 gig hdds from the array and am going to put that in the WHS ... Mean while I am attempting to restore the game cd from the restore cd every thing works like a charm untill i get to the "Choose Volumes to Restore" screen ... at wich point it seems to be saying i can not restore to a single 500 gig hdd because the backup was marked as being from a 931 gig data set ...

That's correct.  At this point in time you can restore only to a drive that is at least the same size as the original.

tenjin wrote:
    Now i can see why WHS whould be hesitant about this if the data doesnt fit ... but shouldnt there be some sort of check against this to see if the data would / should still be restorable?

Absolutely.

tenjin wrote:
    (fyi the amount of data that was on the 2x500 R0 array was only 97 gigs wich means that even a single 500 would be more than sufficient ... at any rate im stuck at a point of no return now as i have formatted the 500 gig disk, i supose i can still put the 500 gig back in but that doesnt make things any "better" ... what if some one had a larger disk than a replacement disk in a failed hdd enviroment ... now they are totally unable to restore?

At least at this point in time, yes.

tenjin wrote:

I believe this issue has already been posted on Connect, but I'm not sure of that...

Sunday, November 18, 2007 7:50 PM

All replies

•  tenjin wrote:
    Ok, so here is the deal, and I am fairly certain that this is just the way it is going to be.

That's correct.  At this point in time you can restore only to a drive that is at least the same size as the original.

tenjin wrote:
    Now i can see why WHS whould be hesitant about this if the data doesnt fit ... but shouldnt there be some sort of check against this to see if the data would / should still be restorable?

Absolutely.

tenjin wrote:
    (fyi the amount of data that was on the 2x500 R0 array was only 97 gigs wich means that even a single 500 would be more than sufficient ... at any rate im stuck at a point of no return now as i have formatted the 500 gig disk, i supose i can still put the 500 gig back in but that doesnt make things any "better" ... what if some one had a larger disk than a replacement disk in a failed hdd enviroment ... now they are totally unable to restore?

At least at this point in time, yes.

tenjin wrote:

I believe this issue has already been posted on Connect, but I'm not sure of that...

Sunday, November 18, 2007 7:50 PM
  • thank you for the responce, i hope this can get addressed..
    Sunday, November 18, 2007 8:09 PM