Backup failure RRS feed

• Question

• 1st, sorry to ask this, but I can not pin down a specific answer searching............do backups work with a Vista 64 machine (Server has SP2)?

Now, my real problem.

I can not back up any of my machines , 3 Vista, 1 XP.

The backups start and get to about 40% and then fail. 
    Both manual and automatic.

I get a message that sez the backup failed because of a problem with your Home Server Connector software and the System event log has more details.
    There are no errors in the System event log.

Anyway, what I do know is the server drops network and internet access.

I can not ping any other machines from the server and the other machines do not see the Server.

The Server indications are that the connection is good, but it is not.

I do see a IP assigned to the server 192.168.1.3 and if I try to renew/repair that operation fails with an error message that sez it can not repair my IP.

If I look at the router it no longer shows the Server, but shows all other computers.

If I look in the Server Device Manager it shows the network card as working properly.

If I restart the Server everything is OK and stays that way until I try to do a backup and then the backup fails and I lose my network and internet connection again and can not get it back unless I restart the Server.

Can someone nudge me in the right direction?

Thanks

Bob
    Tuesday, November 25, 2008 3:53 AM

Answers

• Hi Bob,
    did you install the latest Windows Server 2003 compatible network drivers on the server?
    What kind of network adapter is it?
    The experience of other WHS users did show often, that purchasing a separate network adapter with dedicated Windows Server 2003 drivers instead of using the onboard components brought a big improvement in network reliability.
    You may also try to upgrade the router firmware to the latest version and swap the cable.

On some production servers a registry change helped in a similar situation (network connection dropped due to lack of resources after some time). Copy the following lines into notepad, save them in a file with extension .reg and import this file per double click in Windows Explorer after logging in to the server.
    Reboot and check, if the situation improved.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management]
    "PagedPoolSize"=dword:ffffffff
    "PoolUsageMaximum"=dword:00000030

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

• Marked as answer by Bob Millard Wednesday, November 26, 2008 6:35 PM
    Tuesday, November 25, 2008 9:05 AM

All replies

• Hi Bob,
    did you install the latest Windows Server 2003 compatible network drivers on the server?
    What kind of network adapter is it?
    The experience of other WHS users did show often, that purchasing a separate network adapter with dedicated Windows Server 2003 drivers instead of using the onboard components brought a big improvement in network reliability.
    You may also try to upgrade the router firmware to the latest version and swap the cable.

On some production servers a registry change helped in a similar situation (network connection dropped due to lack of resources after some time). Copy the following lines into notepad, save them in a file with extension .reg and import this file per double click in Windows Explorer after logging in to the server.
    Reboot and check, if the situation improved.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management]

Olaf

• Marked as answer by Bob Millard Wednesday, November 26, 2008 6:35 PM
    Tuesday, November 25, 2008 9:05 AM
  • Olaf

I will try all of your suggestions later to day.

Thanks for the help.

Bob
    Tuesday, November 25, 2008 2:27 PM
  • Olaf

I can not get your .reg script to install.

I copied it to notepad with a file name network.reg

This is what it looks like in the network.reg file I created.

I moved it over to the server desktop and double clicked it and I get an error that it is not a registry script.

I tried opening the registry and importing it and I get an error You can only import registry files.

I guess I do not follow instructions very well.

Thanks

Bob
    Tuesday, November 25, 2008 3:11 PM
  • Hi Bob,
    you missed to copy the line

Olaf

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 4:11 PM
  • Olaf

Heck, I did not miss it, I just thought it wasn't important............DUH

Anyway, got it loaded and will try an update while I am out for awhile.

I will let you know what happens.

Thanks so very much.

Bob
    Tuesday, November 25, 2008 8:14 PM
  • Olaf

Did the registry trick, did not solve the issue.

Updated the router (long overdue anyway), did not help.

Put in a add-in network and disabled the onboard gig card and now life is good again.

Thanks for your assistance.

I guess the registry change does not make any differnce so I can just leave it that way?

Bob
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 6:34 PM
  • Hi Bob,
    yes, you can leave the registry change (I have never seen any bad side effects on the systems, on which I had to use this).
    Olaf
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 7:30 PM