Cannot complete WHS installation RRS feed

• Question

• Hello:

Thought I would like to try WHS.  So I downloaded the trial software from the website and burned an iso DVD and tried to install it onto a spare relatively modern machine that runs XP like a charm; copies the files ok, reboots and copies the dos portion ok, reboots and gives 5 different NTVDM errors (in running .exe files in \ime\ directories), after telling it to ignore/close those, it continues then reboots and then hangs at the black "Windows Server 2003" screen without completing the rest of the install.

Downloaded the software again and checked the CRC with 2 different CRC checkers, both say it is 9ba1f08b; the download page says it is supposed to be 4EE769E3.

Downloaded it twice more, got the same checksum.  Burned another DVD, I get the same install errors and hangs again on the 2003 intro page.  So I cannot even get far enough to look for any error logs.

Used a BART PE disk to find the files on the sys drive that didn't work with the ntvdm errors and executed them; all but one executed fine as it gave errors re illegal operations.

Questions:  Is the file that I am downloading from the MS website the correct version, ie, what it's supposed to be?  Have an incorrect version been posted?  Am I doing something wrong?

Hardware is based on a Netvista 8305 motherboard (2.4 GHz P4), 768 MB DDR RAM, DVD-RW, 200 MB c: drive + additional 40 MB + 40 MB hard drives all IDE/ATA, 64 MB nVidia video card, Linksys 10/100 NIC.

Ideas?  Hardware issues?  Thanks.
    Saturday, October 3, 2009 8:33 AM

Answers

• Hardware issues are a possibility, but if the CRC is wrong, you have a bad download. Can you try the download from a different location?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by paperhawk Wednesday, October 21, 2009 8:20 AM
    Saturday, October 3, 2009 4:38 PM
  • Hello:

Thought I would like to try WHS.  So I downloaded the trial software from the website and burned an iso DVD and tried to install it onto a spare relatively modern machine that runs XP like a charm; copies the files ok, reboots and copies the dos portion ok, reboots and gives 5 different NTVDM errors (in running .exe files in \ime\ directories), after telling it to ignore/close those, it continues then reboots and then hangs at the black "Windows Server 2003" screen without completing the rest of the install.

Downloaded the software again and checked the CRC with 2 different CRC checkers, both say it is 9ba1f08b; the download page says it is supposed to be 4EE769E3.

Downloaded it twice more, got the same checksum.  Burned another DVD, I get the same install errors and hangs again on the 2003 intro page.  So I cannot even get far enough to look for any error logs.

Used a BART PE disk to find the files on the sys drive that didn't work with the ntvdm errors and executed them; all but one executed fine as it gave errors re illegal operations.

Questions:  Is the file that I am downloading from the MS website the correct version, ie, what it's supposed to be?  Have an incorrect version been posted?  Am I doing something wrong?

Hardware is based on a Netvista 8305 motherboard (2.4 GHz P4), 768 MB DDR RAM, DVD-RW, 200 MB c: drive + additional 40 MB + 40 MB hard drives all IDE/ATA, 64 MB nVidia video card, Linksys 10/100 NIC.

I just downloaded the eval DVD directly from MS.  Where are you downloading it from?  Please post the link.

Anyway, here are the checksums I got for the eval DVD using HashCalc:

MD5 - e3b27bca6bbc521cab25c8ce64de2318
    SHA1 - 7504298872dc6da4e283801b64dd779e3d67b20b
    CRC32 - 4ee769e3

Obviously the problem is on your end.  You might try downloading the iso using a different PC (and perhaps through a different ISP).
    Wednesday, October 7, 2009 4:47 AM
  • Well, network drivers are often not seen on own hardware (also for the most onboard adapters only XP drivers can be used, since Server 2003 drivers are not offered).
    Regarding the invisible disks you could change the SATA controller mode in Bios to IDE compatibility. Also ensure, that the mainboard supports the ports in a non RAID mode.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by paperhawk Wednesday, October 21, 2009 8:25 AM
    Wednesday, October 7, 2009 7:56 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    I am not sure about the CRC thing.
    If you have enough disk space (and memory) on your client PC, you could create a virtual machine with Microsoft Virtual PC, connect the ISO to it and run the installation in that VM. If the installation runs through here, your ISO image could be considered as fine.

Such random errors I have usually seen in context with faulty memory or bad cabling for other OS installations. It's possible, that Windows Home Server Setup also touches memory areas, which are rarely used in XP, which could explain the instabilities. Or a driver is not compatible with your hardware.

Olaf
    Saturday, October 3, 2009 9:09 AM
  • Hardware issues are a possibility, but if the CRC is wrong, you have a bad download. Can you try the download from a different location?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, October 3, 2009 4:38 PM
  • Also depending on what speed you are burning the DVD at - your optical could be skipping, try slowing the burn rate of the DVD down.
    Monday, October 5, 2009 5:49 PM
  • Hi all:

Thanks for your replies and advice.  To answer your suggestions, the client machine can't run virtual pc.  Memory was checked using 2 programs (microsoft's and memtest) and produced no errors.  I would hope that the cabling is ok as all drives and stuff can be seen by setup, thus hopefully all of the drivers are ok?  Tried downloading several times and all the CRCs are the same, checked with 2 different CRC checking programs.  There is nothing exotic here (eg RAID, SCSI, etc), they are just the normal run of the mill ATAs.  The DVD was burned at slowest speed possible with write verification turned on.

One would think that there would be some sort of notifications duing setup that something was not good, why and could not proceed.

The email addy provided by microsoft to their WHS team is non-operational and was returned.

Does anybody know of safe alternate download locations for the programs, especially to get the install disks separately, ie the program, the connectors and the backup thing?  Then at least I could be able to track what is going wrong where.

Any other suggestions?

Also, during the setup phase, the following NTVDM.exe "hard errors" were encountered on the following files:

c:\windows\ime\imjp8_1\imjpinst.exe
    c:\windows\ime\imkr6_1\imkrinst.exe
    c:\windows\system32\ime\pintlgnt\imscinst.exe
    c:\windows\system32\ime\tintlgnt\tintsetp.exe
    c:\windows\system32\ime\cintlgnt\cintsetp.exe

Using a BART disk, was able to run all the above files separately except for tintsetp.exe, which produced the following error message:

The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction:

CS:0d84  IP:0161  OP:dd.29 2d 2b 2d

I'm not a software engineer, what does that mean?  After running those files, the machine still hangs on the first Server 2003 screen.

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to shed on this!
    Monday, October 5, 2009 9:41 PM
  • Hello:

I just downloaded the eval DVD directly from MS.  Where are you downloading it from?  Please post the link.

Anyway, here are the checksums I got for the eval DVD using HashCalc:

MD5 - e3b27bca6bbc521cab25c8ce64de2318
    SHA1 - 7504298872dc6da4e283801b64dd779e3d67b20b
    CRC32 - 4ee769e3

Obviously the problem is on your end.  You might try downloading the iso using a different PC (and perhaps through a different ISP).
    Wednesday, October 7, 2009 4:47 AM
  • Guess the problem must be at my end, here is the link I was using:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0960c088-c539-4265-9c5c-84fb6b2dadca&displaylang=en

Was probably screwed up by the ISP and a throttling scheme (ie the download was quick to about 50% then slowed down to a crawl).

My checksums were calculated by RapidCRC and febooti fileTweak Hash and CRC; both gave the same results.

Anyway, found and downloaded the individual disks from another source; the installation DVD now works perfectly except that the box doesn't see my Linksys NIC (therefore no connectivity) and 2 of the 3 hard drives.  And I still have to use the connector software CD on the clients.  I'll tackle those headaches tomorrow or so when I have some patience.
    Wednesday, October 7, 2009 7:50 AM
  • Well, network drivers are often not seen on own hardware (also for the most onboard adapters only XP drivers can be used, since Server 2003 drivers are not offered).
    Regarding the invisible disks you could change the SATA controller mode in Bios to IDE compatibility. Also ensure, that the mainboard supports the ports in a non RAID mode.
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by paperhawk Wednesday, October 21, 2009 8:25 AM
    Wednesday, October 7, 2009 7:56 AM
  • Hi all:
    Thanks for your time and input; figured out that the roadblock was actually the a/v on my machine; disabled that and the download worked like a charm.  Removed the network card and used the onboard ethernet instead.  Installation went smoothly, the install had drivers for the ethernet but not the speakers (that's ok, not needed anyway).  Had some problems with the connector software but was able to solve those by using the toolkit and playing with router and IE settings.  Now seems to work like a charm; I now just have to figure out some of the little nuances that make this program great!
    Thanks again for all your help.
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 8:24 AM