none
Money report issue - cannot customize reports RRS feed

• Question

• Running Win10 and Money + Deluxe 17

I am not sure when this started, but i used to be able to customize reports.  Now when I try it acts like a dialog box is coming up, but it is not visible anywhere.  If I touch the app itself i just get a beep like a dialog has focus.  I have to ESC out to get back to the app.  Everything else works fine in Money.  I tried making the app as small as I could on screen and moved it to the corner and I still see no dialog box when I try to open customize view.  I dont know when this stopped working, but I do know it used to work on this computer with W10.

Anyone ever experience this?

Thursday, October 5, 2017 4:31 AM

Answers

• So I went into my display settings page.  My left monitor is already designated #1 according to the setting page, if that is what you meant. But I noticed the monitor designated #2 was set as 'main display'.  So i changed #1 to main and boom, success!

I also tried it with my laptop out of the dock and the problem persisted.  I will have to try that again tomorrow.

Thank you all for the help, much appreciated.  This had me stumped.

Wednesday, October 18, 2017 3:09 AM
  • How about temporarily set up for a single monitor?

I use a single monitor. I just tried clicking Customize on a few reports. In each case, the Customize Report window came up in the upper left corner of the screen -- not within the Money window necessarily.

With dual/multi monitors, what I would try is to tell Windows that the farthest left monitor also is as high or higher than any other monitor.

Wednesday, October 18, 2017 2:42 AM

All replies

• I don't see this on my Windows 10 version 1703, build 15063.632.  I am running Money 17.0.120.3817.

You might try reinstalling Money and re-doing the mnyob99.dll replacement.  If that doesn't help, a File Repair is worth a try.

Bill Becker

Thursday, October 5, 2017 9:36 PM
  • I did not understand the "17".

Try opening a copy of Sample.mny, and see if you can customize a report. If not, I would install Money Plus Deluxe again, and put the patch in, as described in the first posting in this forum, again.

Thursday, October 5, 2017 9:47 PM
  • Sorry, the version is Money Plus Deluxe 17.0.120.3817.  So I tried replacing the DLL file from the sticky.  No dice.  Then I tried reinstalling money and again replacing the DLL. Still no good. I tried a file repair, also no change.

Also same issue when i tried Sample.mny

Everything else appears to work.

W10 Pro v10.0.15063 build 15063

• Edited by ScottApp Tuesday, October 17, 2017 4:48 AM
    Tuesday, October 17, 2017 4:40 AM
  • Sorry, the version is Money Plus Deluxe 17.0.120.3817.  So I tried replacing the DLL file from the sticky.  No dice.  Then I tried reinstalling money and again replacing the DLL. Still no good. I tried a file repair, also no change.

Everything else appears to work.

If you open a copy of Sample.mny, can you customize the reports?
    Tuesday, October 17, 2017 4:43 AM
  • I cannot
    Tuesday, October 17, 2017 4:55 AM
  • thanks, unfortunately that doesn't work.  I have actually have had an issue at work with multiple monitors and things getting lost.

problem is there is nothing actually popping up, so there is nothing to move or resize.  It does not appear if I alt+tab - the app itself does but no customization window.  the application thinks it is open though, if i click it i just get a beep sound.  I have to hit escape to be able to use money again. 

really odd

The add to favorites dialog box works just fine too

• Edited by ScottApp Wednesday, October 18, 2017 2:30 AM
    Wednesday, October 18, 2017 2:27 AM
  • How about temporarily set up for a single monitor?

I use a single monitor. I just tried clicking Customize on a few reports. In each case, the Customize Report window came up in the upper left corner of the screen -- not within the Money window necessarily.

With dual/multi monitors, what I would try is to tell Windows that the farthest left monitor also is as high or higher than any other monitor.

Wednesday, October 18, 2017 2:42 AM
  • This problem has been reported before.  In one case it was caused by Windows "remembering" a multi-monitor setup:

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/3d48e409-cd68-454f-9813-5121af813d6f/microsoft-money-plus-sunset-version-report-customize-option-does-nothing?forum=money

By any chance is your home computer a laptop that you have used at work?

In another thread, a reinstall fixed it:

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/4a46a752-06ae-4cf7-94e5-676c36647eea/cannot-customise-reports?forum=money

I realize the you have tried the reinstall.

As for using Alt-Tab, I find that, with my system, the primary Money window shows but the Customize sub-window does not.  There is no way to select it.  Maybe it's a "feature" of the coding in Money.

Bill Becker

Wednesday, October 18, 2017 3:02 AM
  • So I went into my display settings page.  My left monitor is already designated #1 according to the setting page, if that is what you meant. But I noticed the monitor designated #2 was set as 'main display'.  So i changed #1 to main and boom, success!

I also tried it with my laptop out of the dock and the problem persisted.  I will have to try that again tomorrow.

Thank you all for the help, much appreciated.  This had me stumped.

Wednesday, October 18, 2017 3:09 AM
  • I am glad this is letting you customize.

My thinking was that Money was putting the window at virtual pixel (0,0). http://www.flounder.com/virtual_screen_coordinates.htm explains the virtual pixel thing. That page shows 5 setups pictured about 10% down the page. I would suspect #4  would have this problem with Money, since neither screen has virtual pixel (0,0).

Wednesday, October 18, 2017 2:37 PM
  • I know this is an old topic, but I experienced this issue for the first time today. It turned out to be an easy solution. On the left side of the report page (where the customize option is), there is also an option to "Change Report Settings". If you click on that, you will then be given an option to "Reset Reports".  After doing that, the "Customize" option worked as it used to. Hope this helps. 
    Friday, June 8, 2018 5:18 PM
  • For the last week or so I also could not customize any reports in MS Money, it acts like a dialog box is coming up, but never really comes up anywhere and I can't do anything except escape.  I too have been using MS Money consistently since ... forever, and in Windows 10.  It was so confusing and I have been searching and searching for a solution.  I figured I would finally have to give up on this program that I love so much until I read your post.  I too had my 2nd display set up as my main screen, which apparantly really confuses this program.  Once I fixed that issue, as you say "boom, success!" I just wanted to let others no that this works and was my issue. Thank you!!!!
    Saturday, May 16, 2020 5:03 PM
  • Well I said it work, but now I have gone back to not seeing the customized menu. I cannot do anything until I hit escape.  I'm still using two monitors but I have been using 2 monitors for years.  Is it possible it has something to do with the latest Window 10 updates? There have been a few security updates in 2020 and a "Feature Update" in Dec 2019?  This is driving me crazy.  If I could find a comparable product I might consider changing, but I can't.  It also the reports and the ability to customize that I like this program :(
    Friday, May 22, 2020 8:33 PM
  • Well I said it work, but now I have gone back to not seeing the customized menu. I cannot do anything until I hit escape.  I'm still using two monitors but I have been using 2 monitors for years.  Is it possible it has something to do with the latest Window 10 updates? There have been a few security updates in 2020 and a "Feature Update" in Dec 2019?  This is driving me crazy.  If I could find a comparable product I might consider changing, but I can't.  It also the reports and the ability to customize that I like this program :(

Make an extra copy or   backup file before trying this, in case you want to undo.

File->RepairMoneyFile->StandardFileRepair level 1 includes resetting all customized reports and losing all favorite reports that you have saved. Is it worth a try for you?

Friday, May 22, 2020 8:40 PM