Change mobo...need to reinstall WHS? RRS feed

• Question

• Quick question....i've got a frankenstein WHS box right now...planning on replacing my Full ATX system, with a low powered mini-iTX system.

So....any miracle chance that i wouldn't need to reinstall the OS? :-)
    Tuesday, July 22, 2008 5:43 AM

Answers

• Basically, no. You could mess around with replacing the hardware abstraction layer, but there are likely to be too many differences between a full-sized ATX system and a mini-ITX system for that to result in a satisfactory conclusion.

I would try swapping all your drives to the new system, starting setup, installing storage drivers (if needed) and see if you get the option for a server reinstallation when asked what kind of installation you want to do. That will preserve the files in your shares.
    Tuesday, July 22, 2008 12:44 PM

All replies

• Basically, no. You could mess around with replacing the hardware abstraction layer, but there are likely to be too many differences between a full-sized ATX system and a mini-ITX system for that to result in a satisfactory conclusion.

I would try swapping all your drives to the new system, starting setup, installing storage drivers (if needed) and see if you get the option for a server reinstallation when asked what kind of installation you want to do. That will preserve the files in your shares.
    Tuesday, July 22, 2008 12:44 PM
  • I would say its do-able, as long as the hardware drivers don't conflict. I've swapped motherboards without reinstalling the entire OS before. Windows would obviously need to be reactivated, which could mean a call back to Microsoft. But I hear they do give you an activation code with no complaints.

Ideally, you'd do a clean server reinstall. You don't know which drivers could be a problem. Since you'd probably clear the system drive anyway for a reinstall, you might as well try it and see Smile
    Tuesday, July 22, 2008 8:56 PM
  • Shadymg

I'd recommend a clean install - having done a swap of hardware myself recently, there was always the nagging doubt that any future potential glitches might trace back to crud left over from the previous platform - I just want my WHS box to sit in the basement and perform reliably and without much in the way of hands on maintenence - 5 home PC's take enough of my time to "maintain" in our house 

OS reactivation was far quicker and easier than I thought - the Microsoft Activation IVR system did it all within 3 minutes.
    Copying back the 1TB of data using Syncback, with file copy verification turned on, ran overnight - and had the additional benefit of identifying some files that were locked on the source disk taken from my old WHS platform - If I hadn't done the transfer this way, I would not have known that these 10 or so files were corrupted until some distant point in the future...

Cheers,
    Tony
    Wednesday, July 23, 2008 2:12 AM