new hard drive in source computer RRS feed

• Question

• Just installed a new raid in my source computer.  Given in the same name and letter as previous drive but the backup configuration wizard sees it as a new drive.  I dont want to create new backup for it - I want it to continue backing up as the old drive (its 2.5tb of data I dont have room to back it up the the WHS, and it will take days to create the new backup)

Is there a way?

Sunday, June 20, 2010 12:36 PM

All replies

• It doesn't matter. If it's the same data as on the previous incarnation of your array, it's already been backed up. So when you back it up, Windows Home Server should detect that and not back it up again.

For more information about how backup works, see the Home Computer Backup and Restore technical brief.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, June 20, 2010 1:05 PM
  • Leave the old client on the WHS and create a new one for the new installed.
    THe old client backup files reside on the WHS as long as you didn;t delete that client on the WHS.
    After the new client is installed, start a new backup. Now the WHS sees the files/data of the previous backup of the old client and does not backup them again, only the new data is being backup'ed. After the new client backup is done, you can safely delete the old client on the WHS.
    Yes.. WHS is doing backups smart :-)

"getho" wrote in message news:f9c80207-692a-4717-973b-9e46f2bac259@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Just installed a new raid in my source computer. Given in the same name and letter as previous drive but the backup configuration wizard sees it as a new drive. I dont want to create new backup for it - I want it to continue backing up as the old drive (its 2.5tb of data I dont have room to back it up the the WHS, and it will take days to create the new backup)

Is there a way?

Have a nice day!
    Sunday, June 20, 2010 2:15 PM
  • thank you both.

Very clever I'll give it a try

Tuesday, June 22, 2010 1:46 PM
  • unfortunately the backup failed: it said there was not enough room to backup the drive.  The new drive is bigger than the oold, but the amount of data is roughly the same. Total storage on my WHS is 2.86, total to backup is 2.43 TB

I dont have duplication turned on.  Is this because there are several versions of the backup stored?

Saturday, July 17, 2010 12:56 PM