Cannot turn on virus spyware monitoring RRS feed

• Question

• I am unable to enable virus & spyware monitoring on my desktop. I have used first OneCare 1.6, and then 2 beta on my laptop without difficulty. But on my desktop, neither version will get off red alert. It has been 3 days now of installing and running tools, verifying services, installing and uninstalling the two Onecare programs. I’m at my wits’ end. Also, I would like to subscribe... even if only on the laptop, but can’t get to the place where that happens, even though I have adjusted language to this country (Belgium) in internet options. I do not speak French well enough to use Belgium help... but cant get to the French page either.  I get sent to a Windows live splash page, and am invited to open another passport, but not to subscribe. I am a US citizen. I’m a genuine advantage user. I would be satisfied to subscribe to version 1.6 on both pcs and wait till it upgrades to 2, but I can’t enable virus protection on the desktop, or get to the subscription page on either computer. I don’t want to go back to agv and spybot. Meantime, I’m not protected. Would greatly appreciate a solution.

A.B. West
    Wednesday, October 17, 2007 1:34 PM

Answers

• I have been informed that the virus monitoring problem was due to a custom boot screen... a simple jpg image I had on the pc's booting screen... that was preventing hotfix kb914882 from functioning. It required a boot.ini edit and a reboot and the problem was resolved. Four days of stress dissolved as OneCare switched from red to green, thanks to this intervention. I hope this information may help someone.

A.B. West

Thursday, October 18, 2007 3:24 PM

All replies

• I have been informed that the virus monitoring problem was due to a custom boot screen... a simple jpg image I had on the pc's booting screen... that was preventing hotfix kb914882 from functioning. It required a boot.ini edit and a reboot and the problem was resolved. Four days of stress dissolved as OneCare switched from red to green, thanks to this intervention. I hope this information may help someone.

A.B. West

Thursday, October 18, 2007 3:24 PM
  • Thanks very much for posting this information, A.B.

-steve

Friday, October 19, 2007 7:24 PM
  • Well it's my pleasure Steve. There follows a summary of the support instructions I received from an MS technician. I'm not entirely sure I'm at liberty to share them. If not, please remove this post. If yes, please remove this sentence and the previous two. To be precise, one should first remove any startup graphics programs such as "StyleXP", "BootXP", "WindowsBlinds", "LogonUI Boot Randomizer", etc., if one is using one. But if you haven't used a program, and just tacked a jpg to the boot screen with a tweak program like I did, you can skip that step. Then in My Computer, Properties, advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery. Under System Startup, click Edit. The Boot.ini will be opened in Notepad. Save it as "boot_backup.ini" and close Notepad. This is a back up of the Boot.ini file. Click edit again under System Startup. Locate the line of text containing "/KERNEL=". Delete the text "Kernel=TUKernel.exe" from that line. Save the Boot.ini as C:\Boot.INI and close Notepad. Restart the computer. If this does not resolve the problem, reinstall AVHotfix WindowsXP-KB914882. All my best. A.B. West

Friday, October 19, 2007 10:21 PM
  • You can always share what support provides as a solution, as long as you remove their email addresses and don't post a phone number. :-)

Thanks again,

-steve

Saturday, October 20, 2007 1:50 AM