OneCare Pricing RRS feed

• Question

• My question/comments are....

Why is OneCare $10.00 more in Canada then in the United States?

I called OneCare today and the first person told me it was to do with the exchange rate. Which at the end of the day is hog wash considering that the American dollar and Canadian dollar are so close these days. They have been for sometime now. Off by a single cent today!

The next person I spoke to said that it had to do with "Microsoft Pricing Standards". Which I asked "how do I get some understanding as to how Microsoft arrives at these "standards" and she more or less had no answer for me.

The mere fact that I'm a Canadian and not American shouldn't mean I have to pay more. "Your Canadian? Oh, you pay 10 bucks more!"

So I'm caught between a rock and a hard spot. I'm due to renew the service but don't want to at the moment because I just don't think its right that I'm forced to pay 10 bucks more and for no good reason seemingly.

Can someone with a PROPER answer from Microsoft respond to this? I mean if there is a very clear and valid reason for this then I'm happy to renew. But if the above two lame excuses I got from OneCare directly is the only answer I can get... ..then I'm saving myself the money all together and will find some other REASONABLE software program to do exactly what OneCare does.

Thanks!

Friday, July 11, 2008 2:13 PM

Answers

• Pricing for OneCare is set by Microsoft based on a number of factors and is usually determined in conjunction with the regional Microsoft office for each country or region.

I'm sorry that you don't care for that answer, but that is the reason.

You can probably save money by looking for a retail copy of OneCare on sale and using the retail key to renew your subscription.

-steve

Friday, July 11, 2008 3:18 PM

All replies

• Pricing for OneCare is set by Microsoft based on a number of factors and is usually determined in conjunction with the regional Microsoft office for each country or region.

I'm sorry that you don't care for that answer, but that is the reason.

You can probably save money by looking for a retail copy of OneCare on sale and using the retail key to renew your subscription.

-steve

Friday, July 11, 2008 3:18 PM
  • To make the reason for cost differences in different regions more clear, it's simply that costs aren't the same in all regions. The fact that providing OneCare as a service over the Internet using servers and bandwidth in or between those regions, along with other costs of doing business in each region are different means that all locations are not considered the same.

In fact, since the local providers of Microsoft products in other areas of the world are sometimes not even Microsoft itself, it's possible that the differences in price are completely arbitrary and not even a choice made by Microsoft. This is also potentially the reason that some areas of the world can't get OneCare service at all.

It's confusing to many that in the Internet age you can't just get anything anywhere you can get the Internet. However, the real difference with OneCare is that providing such a complex service requires the coordination of regional marketing, financial and legal operations along with agreements with Microsoft's US operations. Unfortunately, this hasn't become any simpler due to the Internet, so these pricing and availability issues will likely continue for years to come, if they ever end.

OneCareBear

Saturday, July 12, 2008 8:42 PM