none
Streaming hardware RRS feed

• Question

• Hello members
    I have installed WHS and now I'm wondering what hardware would be good for streaming music and internet radio stations through whs?
    Any hints?

Thanks
    Saturday, October 11, 2008 4:22 AM

Answers

• When I say Media Extender, I'm talking about any of the devices that are also called Digital Media Receivers. I refer to them as media extenders because that's the term Microsoft uses for them; you can control your Vista Media Center (or XP MCE) computer from a Windows Media Extender.

I honestly don't know specific software that will stream an internet radio station in the WHS environment, and yes, I understand your problem. :) I'm going to suggest that you perform a number of searches in the forums here. You should probably also check out WHS-centric blogs and portals like WeGotServed, MSWHS, and HomeServerHacks, plus Media Center targetted fora like The Green Button.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by notechyet Sunday, October 12, 2008 5:59 AM
    Saturday, October 11, 2008 2:02 PM

All replies

• Windows Home Server includes Windows Media Connect 2.0, which has the ability to stream some media types to media extenders. There is nothing built into WHS that will stream an internet radio station, however. To stream media types not supported by WMC, you would need third party software on your server which can stream those media types.

To determine which media extenders/digital media receivers support WMC 2.0, you should check the documentation for any extenders you're considering.

Saturday, October 11, 2008 4:33 AM
  • Thanks Ken
    As I live rural and the main radio stations are difficult to get I found it better through the internet. Best would be to change from the local machine to the server so it can be accessed from various points. What third party soft would help me to access radio stations? Do you mean extenders as being hardware to play media?
    • Edited by notechyet Saturday, October 11, 2008 4:47 AM typo
    Saturday, October 11, 2008 4:41 AM
  • When I say Media Extender, I'm talking about any of the devices that are also called Digital Media Receivers. I refer to them as media extenders because that's the term Microsoft uses for them; you can control your Vista Media Center (or XP MCE) computer from a Windows Media Extender.

I honestly don't know specific software that will stream an internet radio station in the WHS environment, and yes, I understand your problem. :) I'm going to suggest that you perform a number of searches in the forums here. You should probably also check out WHS-centric blogs and portals like WeGotServed, MSWHS, and HomeServerHacks, plus Media Center targetted fora like The Green Button.

• Marked as answer by notechyet Sunday, October 12, 2008 5:59 AM
    Saturday, October 11, 2008 2:02 PM
  • Hi Ken
    Brilliant, that should give me plenty to look and find.
    I did find yesterday some hardware like the Logitech Boom and something from Netgear.
    Though I have not found anything regarding streaming online radio.
    Sunday, October 12, 2008 5:59 AM
  • I believe that some extenders have the ability to directly stream internet radio, e.g. the Roku Soundbridge series. You'll probably have better luck that way, to be honest.
    Sunday, October 12, 2008 1:40 PM