WHS 2011 and Hyper-V Dynamic Memory RRS feed

• Question

• Installing a test system of WHS 2011 (prior to full migration) onto my Hyper-V box.   I have installed WHS2011 and Hyper-V integration services.  I have also configured the VM to use Dynamic Memory.

I know that Hyper-V is configured properly, since I have 3 other VMs using Dynamic Memory.

But WHS2011 does not seem to use Dynamic Memory - I don't have any values in the Memory Demand and Memory Status columns.

Any ideas?

Wednesday, April 6, 2011 6:58 PM

All replies

• You need to install the updated integrated tools. After that and a reboot it should work better. I didn't try yet, 'cause my WHS 2011 RTM installation is in progress but I'll made a feedback ASAP.

Read this:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverhyperv/thread/006fabde-2668-4f07-b8b9-96490141f1e9

Thursday, April 7, 2011 1:02 PM
  • Had tried that - I went ahead and installed it again - still nothing...
    Thursday, April 7, 2011 2:04 PM
  • In WHS 2011 RTM, I see an error (in the Event Viewer) Level=Error Source=dmvsc 

The Dynamic Memory driver failed because dynamic memory is not supported on this release of Windows.

• Proposed as answer by Ed Blankenship Saturday, April 16, 2011 7:50 PM
    Thursday, April 7, 2011 2:20 PM
  • That's not very encouraging - especially given that all of the other "Colorado" servers are based on the same platform - so none of them will support Dynamic Memory on Hyper-V?
    Thursday, April 7, 2011 2:47 PM
  • Did you use the vmguest.iso that come with Hyper-V Core or the one which come with the GUI version of Hyper-V?

The last post on here :

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverhyperv/thread/006fabde-2668-4f07-b8b9-96490141f1e9

Said that the iso are différent and you need the second one for being able to use dynamic memory

Thursday, April 7, 2011 3:41 PM
  • GUI Version - wonder if the other one will work - is there any place to get it without installing Hyper-V core?
    Thursday, April 7, 2011 3:52 PM
  • I have hyper-v with in Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 full install.... NOT just core. So I would say that mine is GUI version as well.

Thursday, April 7, 2011 5:25 PM
  • I have the same problem.  My other VMs are working with it.  It's also my understanding that SBS 2011 also doesn't support Dynamic Memory and is also built on 2008R2.   I can understand that because it has Exchange, but WHS?!  I get the impression that WHS is built on SBS, thus gets the baggage.  Also, I was going to test with Windows 7 Home Premium (since that was present in the existing environment), and only Enterprise, Ultimate and Pro support Hyper-V integration.  The funny thing was that it was supported during the setup, but then stopped working after it was completely installed. Hopefully this will be fixed in SP1/PP1.

Friday, May 27, 2011 4:25 AM