Obtaining hands-on access to server products RRS feed

• Question

• First post here so please be gentle.

All my certs so far have been Cisco related and I'm just now getting my feet wet with MS certs. I'm starting with the 70-680 since I have access to my legal copy of Windows 7 Ultimate and virtual machines. Problem I'm running into is for the server aspects of things.

I read the other posts on here about getting a technet subscription and just wanted to make sure that was the way to go about it. Will I be able to install and use server 2008 or server 2012 with that? The site mentions something about no enterprise or professional support, is that going to limit the scope of technologies I can work with?

Thursday, October 4, 2012 9:07 PM

Answers

• Hi,

TechNet subscriptions are really worthwhile if you need to learn/evaluate a wide variety of new and existing products. MSDN subscriptions are also very good but are aimed more for development and are a lot more expensive.

There are basically two options for the subscription so you just need to decide what you need. The standard has limits of what products are available - you can compare what is available for each type of subscription via - http://download.microsoft.com/download/C/7/8/C78DB720-88CB-455E-AA0E-A087CB332A23/TechNet_Product_List.xlsx

The limit with these subscriptions is pretty much that the licenses are not allowed to be used in production therefore support is not for production issues but you will be able to work with most of the Microsoft products. Like I said check the link above for details. But yes you will have access to Server 2008 and 2012.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/ms772428.aspx

Sean Massey | Consultant, iUNITE

Feel free to contact me through My Blog, Twitter or Hire Me.
    Please click the Mark as Answer or Vote As Helpful button if a post solves your problem or is helpful!

• Proposed as answer by Mr. Wharty Thursday, October 4, 2012 11:42 PM
    • Marked as answer by Horizon_NetEditor Saturday, October 13, 2012 12:07 PM
    Thursday, October 4, 2012 9:53 PM

All replies

• Hi,

TechNet subscriptions are really worthwhile if you need to learn/evaluate a wide variety of new and existing products. MSDN subscriptions are also very good but are aimed more for development and are a lot more expensive.

There are basically two options for the subscription so you just need to decide what you need. The standard has limits of what products are available - you can compare what is available for each type of subscription via - http://download.microsoft.com/download/C/7/8/C78DB720-88CB-455E-AA0E-A087CB332A23/TechNet_Product_List.xlsx

The limit with these subscriptions is pretty much that the licenses are not allowed to be used in production therefore support is not for production issues but you will be able to work with most of the Microsoft products. Like I said check the link above for details. But yes you will have access to Server 2008 and 2012.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/ms772428.aspx

Please click the Mark as Answer or Vote As Helpful button if a post solves your problem or is helpful!

• Proposed as answer by Mr. Wharty Thursday, October 4, 2012 11:42 PM
    • Marked as answer by Horizon_NetEditor Saturday, October 13, 2012 12:07 PM
    Thursday, October 4, 2012 9:53 PM
  • I have a technet and love it. As stated earlier you get access to 2008 and 2012 all editions (standard, enterprise, database) You also get them earlier than the general public. I got to play with Windows 7 well before it was realized as well as Windows 8 and Server 2012. That's also an added bonus.
    Friday, October 5, 2012 4:06 PM
  • This may need some clarification. I'm under the impression the standard version of Technet does not include access to the enterprise level software. I'm also not seeing server 2012 on the excel spreadsheet I downloaded from the technet site which lists all the software you would have access to. The check mark is absent after all of the enterprise stuff so I'm assuming you must have a premier or more expensive subscription to technet.

Not trying to argue just looking to fully understand this and prevent future people from thinking they will have access to stuff they won't.

Please kindly outline which level of technet subscription you have. Also perhaps I'm not looking in the right place for the allowed software which would show 2012 listed?

Saturday, October 6, 2012 12:56 AM
  • Well that's terrible they have not updated the xls. Anyway if you want to use this for enterprise level work training I would go professional and if you have decent download speeds you don't need the media. The 2012 products are available. They want us using the latest products and learning them so that we recommend them for customers/projects.

Saturday, October 6, 2012 5:58 AM