locked
"Save could not be completed because of invalid custom field data" error after export to XML RRS feed

  • Question

  • Project Server 2010 SP1. 

    We had a project that was losing its Enterprise Custom Field data.  (the data was there, when you saved, it would disappear) We cleared the PM's cache, and when that didn't help, we exported the project to XML and then reimported it into Project.  It seemed to work for a couple of days, but then I went to change the owner of the project and save it in PWA, and got the following error:

    "Save could not be completed because of invalid custom field data. This can occur when a custom field has been changed or deleted. Try reloading the page or opening the page in a new browser and saving again."

    I have obviously tried reloading and reopening the browser, etc.  This hasn't helped.  I've compared the project to other ones within the client, and the one thing I've noticed is that in the "Organizer", the tab marked "Fields" has all of the custom fields listed (Not the Text1, Date1, etc) , when other projects don't list them.   I have deleted all the custom views and tables from the project, but "deleting" the custom fields doesn't work (the organizer has a button for that, but tells you to use the "Custom Fields" dialogue instead, but that doesn't seem to do anything either.  I don't think that there is any data in those fields - I have added some of them in a view (there are a lot, but I suppose I could check each one) and they are blank.

    We can save and publish the project from within Project Pro without any errors.

    There are no errors appearing in the queue or the server event viewer or ULS logs, so it's like it's not even getting to the point where it's trying to save the project.

    Other than copy and pasting all the Project tasks into a new project, I can't think of any other troubleshooting steps, and I can't find this error in any documentation or forums.

    Anyone have any other ideas?  Thanks!


    • Edited by ElliJ Thursday, December 29, 2011 5:55 PM forgot important words
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 12:50 AM

Answers

  • Ok, the XML project is now fixed, and I wanted to update in case anyone runs across this.  When I exported to XML, it filled in the enterprise field "Project Departments" for some reason - in this case, with the value from one of our custom enterprise fields.  I couldn't change it because we had no entires in the Departments lookup table, so I added one, changed it (had to do it in PWA or it gave me an error) saved it, and voila! 

    I will opperate on the assumption that the "disappearing" project info data was due to corruption.  Crossing my fingers and moving on.

    Thanks for reading!

    • Marked as answer by ElliJ Friday, December 30, 2011 7:02 PM
    Friday, December 30, 2011 7:02 PM

All replies

  • Hello Ellij

    This may be a long shot, but try updating the SQL Server Stats for each database.

    ie.

    USE ProjectServer_Reporting

    EXEC sp_UpdateStats

    do this for all the project databases.

    Let me know if that works.

    cheers!


    Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    www.WhartonComputer.com
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 2:50 PM
  • This didn't help, but it seems to have improved performance a bit, so thank you. :)

     

    The same issue exists, but I'm also still curious about the initial issue that caused us to export the project in the first place - certain project level enterprise field data shows in the reporting database and in the PWA interface, but not when you open the project in the project client.  Yes, we've zapped the cache - this even happens on a test system with a completely fresh install of MS Project.

    We had this issue in 2007 about a year ago, and it was solved with a hotfix...could 2010 be having the same type of issue?

    We noticed then that if the PM opened the project in PWA (through the project center) then the behavior was more likely, but we've also tried opening the project from the server list inside the client and the behavior is the same.

    Friday, December 30, 2011 5:48 PM
  • Ok, the XML project is now fixed, and I wanted to update in case anyone runs across this.  When I exported to XML, it filled in the enterprise field "Project Departments" for some reason - in this case, with the value from one of our custom enterprise fields.  I couldn't change it because we had no entires in the Departments lookup table, so I added one, changed it (had to do it in PWA or it gave me an error) saved it, and voila! 

    I will opperate on the assumption that the "disappearing" project info data was due to corruption.  Crossing my fingers and moving on.

    Thanks for reading!

    • Marked as answer by ElliJ Friday, December 30, 2011 7:02 PM
    Friday, December 30, 2011 7:02 PM