Download and Upload Speeds on WHS RRS feed

• Question

• Ok so I have found many forums talking about Windows Home Server have slow LAN transfer speeds. However, my problem is opposite. Anyone who connects to my server using the web service or even if we mapped the server on their computer, when they download something. Movie, Album anything the download speeds max out at 150k area. The upload speeds I dont have an exact number for but from what I understand they to are beyond slow as well. I have AT$T Uverse and I dont think it is that. The fact that the speeds max at a certain point and dont vary much makes me think that it is a setting either in my router or the WHS box. However I cannot find either one. My router doesnt have UPNP and so I had to forward the ports myself. I am fairly certain i have the correct ones.

All TCP and UDP

I dont know if I have the wrong ports forwarded or what. Im getting frustrated because I dont think the speeds are supposed to be that slow and if they are then I am not going to be happy about that. By the way my normal download speeds for my computer are 1.5MBps

One of my buddies that I took my CCNA class with is confused to.
    Any help would be much apreciated. Thanks!

Frustrated and Confuzled,
    Connor
    • Moved by Whosane002 Tuesday, January 5, 2010 10:51 AM (From:MSDN, TechNet, and Expression Profile Feedback)
    Friday, January 1, 2010 8:36 PM

Answers

• Ok so I have found many forums talking about Windows Home Server have slow LAN transfer speeds. However, my problem is opposite. Anyone who connects to my server using the web service or even if we mapped the server on their computer, when they download something.

Your download speeds through the internet will never be that good.  When you download from a location outside your home, you're capped by the upload speed at your home (which is usually somewhere between 256 Kb/s and 768 Kb/s).

Movie, Album anything the download speeds max out at 150k area. The upload speeds I dont have an exact number for but from what I understand they to are beyond slow as well. I have AT$T Uverse and I dont think it is that. The fact that the speeds max at a certain point and dont vary much makes me think that it is a setting either in my router or the WHS box. However I cannot find either one. My router doesnt have UPNP and so I had to forward the ports myself. I am fairly certain i have the correct ones.

All TCP and UDP

The only ports you need to forward from your router to your server are 80, 443, and 4125.

I dont know if I have the wrong ports forwarded or what. Im getting frustrated because I dont think the speeds are supposed to be that slow and if they are then I am not going to be happy about that. By the way my normal download speeds for my computer are 1.5MBps

Connor
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 2:35 AM
  • The speed depends from that your Internet Service Provider is offering in your contract. As kariya said, the upload speeds are usually much less than the download speeds, since ISPs do not want you to host high traffic servers at home for a low price.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 8:13 AM

All replies

• Ok so I have found many forums talking about Windows Home Server have slow LAN transfer speeds. However, my problem is opposite. Anyone who connects to my server using the web service or even if we mapped the server on their computer, when they download something.

Your download speeds through the internet will never be that good.  When you download from a location outside your home, you're capped by the upload speed at your home (which is usually somewhere between 256 Kb/s and 768 Kb/s).

Movie, Album anything the download speeds max out at 150k area. The upload speeds I dont have an exact number for but from what I understand they to are beyond slow as well. I have AT$T Uverse and I dont think it is that. The fact that the speeds max at a certain point and dont vary much makes me think that it is a setting either in my router or the WHS box. However I cannot find either one. My router doesnt have UPNP and so I had to forward the ports myself. I am fairly certain i have the correct ones.

All TCP and UDP

The only ports you need to forward from your router to your server are 80, 443, and 4125.

Connor
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 2:35 AM
  • The speed depends from that your Internet Service Provider is offering in your contract. As kariya said, the upload speeds are usually much less than the download speeds, since ISPs do not want you to host high traffic servers at home for a low price.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 8:13 AM