Can't delete left over folders or add new ones in WHS 2011 dashboard RRS feed

• Question

• I moved my larger shared folders to bigger hard drives and moved smaller folders to smaller drives in the dashboard server folders tab and renamed the drives in Windows Explorer.

Now there are 2 folders that I can’t delete. I get the following error

“Some files in the folder were not deleted. Browse to the folder, manually delete the remaining files, and then try to delete the folder again.”

I reformatted the drive, deleted and recreated the partition, no luck, but I can live with this.

When I try to add a folder I get:

The folder location is not valid.

A server folder cannot be added to a root directory of a hard drive. Select a folder under the root directory as the folder location, and then try again.

If I create a folder in the root directory it lets me add one folder to it, but if I try to add another folder to it or to any other hard drive it says that a server folder can’t be added to a folder that already contains a share folder.

It will only let me add folders to the drive that originally contained the serve folders.

Is there any way to clean up this mess or do I really have to reinstall the server system drive and restore all of the server folders from the backup?

Friday, August 23, 2013 3:19 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in the forum.

Regarding the current issue, would you please provide more detailed information about these errors you have received? Maybe a screenshot is better. In addition, have you moved these share folders use the right steps? I suggest we could refer to the following article about how to move share folders in WHS 2011 Dashboard.

How To: Move A Windows Home Server 2011 Shared Folder

http://www.wegotserved.com/2012/01/06/move-windows-home-server-2011-shared-folder/

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Andy Qi

Andy Qi
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Andy Qi Thursday, September 5, 2013 5:34 PM
    Sunday, August 25, 2013 5:16 AM
  • First, it's pretty likely that you're having your current issues because of the actions you undertook outside the dashboard. Since you're having trouble reconstructing mentally what steps led you to the point you're at, it's going to be pretty difficult to do more than generalize. If you can afford to do so, I would consider flattening and reinstalling your server, because I would bet that you don't have a system state backup that matches the current state of your shares, and restoring a backup that doesn't match up with your shares runs a small risk of causing further problems.

Now, as to specific issues:

If I understand you correctly, in your step 4. (image 2) you're trying to share the root of a drive, something which Windows Home Server won't permit you to do. So you're never going to be able to do that in the way that you want. In your image 3., if I understand correctly, you're trying to move a folder from drive to drive? What folder, and where is it going exactly?

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Friday, August 30, 2013 3:55 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in the forum.

Regarding the current issue, would you please provide more detailed information about these errors you have received? Maybe a screenshot is better. In addition, have you moved these share folders use the right steps? I suggest we could refer to the following article about how to move share folders in WHS 2011 Dashboard.

How To: Move A Windows Home Server 2011 Shared Folder

http://www.wegotserved.com/2012/01/06/move-windows-home-server-2011-shared-folder/

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Andy Qi

Andy Qi
    TechNet Community Support

Sunday, August 25, 2013 5:16 AM
  • I have included 2 of 5 screen captures:

1. List of server drives (Computer) before I started moving things around.
    2. Error - server folder cannot be added to a root directory.
    3. Error - server folder cannot be added to a folder that contains a shared folder.
    4. Cannot delete the folder error.
    5. List of server folders (Dashboard) after I stopped.

Please refer to image 1.

Empty (D:) is the second partition of the system drive and is not used.

The following drives are either backed up using the program “handy backup” or not backed up at all.

Keep (E:)  stuff  (G:)  Image Backups (H) stuff_2 (I:)  torrents (K:)

Client bkups (F:) is the server folder that I moved a long time ago and is backed with the Home Server software.

Server Folders (L:) are the shared folders created by whs and ones I added. These are backed up with the Home Server software.

My Book (J:) is an external hard drive used for handy backup.

My goal is as follows:

1. Move the keep (E:) files to Torrents (K:) (smaller drive)
    2. Move the server folders on the L: drive to The E: drive (smaller drive)
    3. Move Image Bkups: to the L: drive (bigger drive)
    4. Move Torrents: (2 empty folders) to the H: drive (bigger drive)

This what I did:

1. In Windows Explorer I copied the E: files to the K: drive and formatted E: (shouldn’t have done this)
    2. In the dashboard I moved the server folders from the L: drive to the newly formatted E: drive
    3. Moved Image Bkups: to the L: drive (not sure If I did this in Explorer or the dashboard) and reformatted Image Bkups: as Torrents:
    4. Tried to add new folder (dashboard) to newly formatted Torrents: drive and I get the error shown in Img 2. Re-formatted the drive and get the same results.

Then I tried the following:

I can successfully add and delete folders to the Image Backup (L:) drive, (location of server folders before this mess as shown in Img 1.

If I try to add a folder to any  drv:\serverfolders I get the error shown in Img 3.

There is an empty, left over folder on the d: drive called “ntwk test drive” that I can’t delete. I get the error shown in Img 4. There is nothing left to manually delete.

I seem to be able to move shared folders between drives without any problems.

I know there is a lot to sift through here and it’s probably still confusing (I actually spent hours trying to recall what I did and document it here).  I have backups of everything, but how do I get the dashboard to see the drives and folders as what they are now or vice-versa. And will a server OS restore just make it even worse (if possible)?

Any suggestion as to where to go from here would be appreciated to the extreme as I am losing my mind over this.

Friday, August 30, 2013 3:10 AM
  • Images 3, 4
    Friday, August 30, 2013 3:11 AM
  • Image 5
    Friday, August 30, 2013 3:11 AM
  • First, it's pretty likely that you're having your current issues because of the actions you undertook outside the dashboard. Since you're having trouble reconstructing mentally what steps led you to the point you're at, it's going to be pretty difficult to do more than generalize. If you can afford to do so, I would consider flattening and reinstalling your server, because I would bet that you don't have a system state backup that matches the current state of your shares, and restoring a backup that doesn't match up with your shares runs a small risk of causing further problems.

Now, as to specific issues:

If I understand you correctly, in your step 4. (image 2) you're trying to share the root of a drive, something which Windows Home Server won't permit you to do. So you're never going to be able to do that in the way that you want. In your image 3., if I understand correctly, you're trying to move a folder from drive to drive? What folder, and where is it going exactly?

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Friday, August 30, 2013 3:55 AM
  • I would consider flattening and reinstalling your server, because I would bet that you don't have a system state backup that matches the current state of your shares, and restoring a backup that doesn't match up with your shares runs a small risk of causing further problems.

Thanks for the reply Ken,

Would I have to reformat each and every drive, add each drive, and then copy all of the data back to each drive?

Could I reformat the drives, label them like they were before, and restore the OS from a backup that was made right before I started hosing everything up?

Thursday, September 12, 2013 4:53 AM