Hard disk full RRS feed

• Question

• I installed my Windows home server software on a computer i built myself.  I put the software on an 80GB hard drive and then added an additional 2.08 TB of hard drive space. I am getting a warning sign that my hard disk is almost full because the 80GB hard drive is full not the rest of the space.  Is there anyway to move the server software to one of the other hard drives without reformatting my server?
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 3:15 PM

All replies

• No.
    You could replace the small disk with a new larger one and attempt a server reinstall. In this special installation mode the data gets preserved (while with a new installation all drives get formatted, so if a reinstall is not offered, do not continue). In this case following the instructions in the FAQ How to recover data after server failure may help you to migrate the data to a fresh installation of WHS.

The problem of filling the disk can have two causes:
    Your WHS is still a very old unpatched version (check in the console under Settings/Ressources), or the folders with duplication on are that big, that they fill up the entire disk space on the smaller volume.

Eventually the warning is pointing to the system volume, which you can only check by logging in directly on the server and check the free space on drive C:.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 3:32 PM
  • If WHS is complaining about a full disk, it should be moving the files to other disks in the storage pool.
    You may try to force WHS to do this if it isn't doing it
    http://wiki.wegotserved.com/index.php?title=Force_Data_Migration_off_the_Primary_Data_Partition
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 9:30 PM