none
WHS Install - BSOD RRS feed

• Question

• You cannot vote on your own post

I installed Windows Home Server with Power Pack 1, a d/l from my TechNet account, on 1st boot up - BSOD at Set up is starting Windows screen.

STOP: 0x0000007B (0x789EA94, )xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

tried another install - same results

burned another copy of the ISO to DVD - installed - same results

d/l another copy of WHS from TechNet, burn DVD, install - same results.

install Windows Home Basic - no issues - all works

install Windows Server 2008 R2 - no problems

find an evaluation copy of Windows Home Server with PP3 - d/l, burn DVD, install - same issues

I cannot understand why I cannot install WHS, but have no issues with Windows or Server 2008 R2

Suggestions appreciated.

DELL XPS Gen 5 - Pentium 4 3.8 Ghz - 8 GB RAM - WD 640 GB HD

Monday, November 29, 2010 7:52 PM

Answers

• Thanks Ken for the quick reply. I suspect you are on target here. As of now I just have the 1 HD installed, the SATA Operations is set to RAID/AutoDetect/ACHI. Other options are RAID AutoDetect/ ATA, RAID on, or Combination. COMBINATION = SATA/PATA combination mode

There is NO IDE option on the board.

I have never run into this before, where do I get the drivers needed?

ETA - change SATA to COMBINATION - set up continued as it should, 10 minutes to go.

If this install completes properly, I shall return with more questions, my 1st Server experience.

Thanks Ken.

• Marked as answer by BChat Monday, November 29, 2010 8:36 PM
    Monday, November 29, 2010 8:12 PM

All replies

• Most probable: All your disks including the system disk are running in SATA or AHCI mode and you aren't supplying storage drivers at the correct times. To install with your disks in AHCI mode you need to supply drivers twice: once in the initial gui setup, then a second time at the start of text mode setup. For the second, you will have to use a floppy (many USB floppy disk drives will do), not a flash drive.

A good alternative may be to set your motherboard or add-in SATA controller to legacy IDE or PATA mode.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, November 29, 2010 8:04 PM
  • Thanks Ken for the quick reply. I suspect you are on target here. As of now I just have the 1 HD installed, the SATA Operations is set to RAID/AutoDetect/ACHI. Other options are RAID AutoDetect/ ATA, RAID on, or Combination. COMBINATION = SATA/PATA combination mode

There is NO IDE option on the board.

I have never run into this before, where do I get the drivers needed?

ETA - change SATA to COMBINATION - set up continued as it should, 10 minutes to go.

If this install completes properly, I shall return with more questions, my 1st Server experience.

Thanks Ken.

• Marked as answer by BChat Monday, November 29, 2010 8:36 PM
    Monday, November 29, 2010 8:12 PM