Remote Connection RRS feed

• Question

• HI
    I have just completed the remote connection setup which reports that the Router and the and the home site are both working. All relevant ports are forwarded
    I can not ping the site  and it says it is under construction because it lacks a default page
    I would be grateful for some advice on where I go next
    Roger Stenson

Home Developer
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 11:31 AM

All replies

• Roger,

How are you trying to access your Windows Home Server and have you registered your WHS name through 'homeserver.com' or the equivalent HP one. If you have, then when you go to that name, you should see the home page of the server.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 5:43 PM
  • Hi Colin 
    Thanks for  your reply
    I built the Home Server myself on a 64 bit Dell quad server that I purchased with future 64 bit releases of Home Server in mind.
    Apart from remote access ithe application works fine

I am accessing the  site using  mostly the beta  of the latest IE and Firefox  v 3. I am using the  following address  https://rstensonhome.homeserver.com/  .(86.13.88.199).i.e it is a Microsoft rather than an HP site

This address is  cited in the Settings/Remote access  form which reports that both the Site and my Router are working

I have now succeeded in pinging the above name and IP address. That made me look at the contents of wwwroot in the Home Server. It contains  IIStart page  that I am seeing when I access  the site,  so I am isuccessfully contacting it through the microsoft service
    However the rest of the content of wwwroot is an aspx web site that I am building for a client. I wondered if I could test it on WHS

So my problem appear to be that some expected conent is missing.  Can you send me a copy of the required content  or guide me to where I can copy it..

Naively I though I could remove the current IIS and put it back and that this would restore the default content.  However any attempts to reconfigure Windows components in the Home Server causes the system to call for the Small Business Server 2003 disk which I don't have. I do have some standard Windows Server 2003 discs but these don't do the business

Roger Stenson

Home Developer
    Thursday, March 5, 2009 12:29 AM
  • Roger, I'm going to recommend a server reinstallation as the easiest way to get your server back to a supported state. When you used whatever tool you did to upload the client web site to your server, it undoubtedly made many changes to the IIS configuration. While it would probably be possible to reconfigure your server correctly, assuming that all that was changed was configuration, not actual files, it would realistically require an extended period of comparison between your server and another fully functional one to get everything back in place.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, March 7, 2009 4:56 PM
  • HI Ken
    Following my last posting and before reading your reply I had come to the same conclusion. I have installed it and have been successfully connected for a day or so and am even beginning to stream data with Web Guide
    However this morning a streaming was interrupted by an automatic connector upgrade
    Following this the website was unavailable
    I went to Settings in home Server and reconfigured the Router OK and then went on to verify the Domaine name and with this I received an 'Unknown Error  message.  I have looked at the options for dealing with this on the help screen but they did not move me forward

However following the  Router reconfiguration the home server website works is visible.

Is this unknown error something that will disappear. Should I worry about it

Roger Stenson

Home Developer
    Sunday, March 8, 2009 9:25 AM
  • Roger Stenson said:

HI Ken
    Following my last posting and before reading your reply I had come to the same conclusion. I have installed it and have been successfully connected for a day or so and am even beginning to stream data with Web Guide
    However this morning a streaming was interrupted by an automatic connector upgrade
    Following this the website was unavailable
    I went to Settings in home Server and reconfigured the Router OK and then went on to verify the Domaine name and with this I received an 'Unknown Error  message.  I have looked at the options for dealing with this on the help screen but they did not move me forward

However following the  Router reconfiguration the home server website works is visible.

Is this unknown error something that will disappear. Should I worry about it

Roger Stenson

Home Developer

It's possible WebGuide is causing your problem.  That particular add-in is no longer maintained by the author and as MS releases updates to WHS, it may break the functionality of that add-in.  Have you tried uninstalling that add-in?
    Sunday, March 8, 2009 3:02 PM