DW20 hangs during database cleanup? RRS feed

• Question

• I frequently see my home server disappear and have to reboot it. The Sunday cleanup process was suspect so I launched it manually. What I saw was DW20 essentially hung in a loop using all CPU and leaking memory. Also page faulting like crazy. (40K/sec... impressive!) This is an old machine with only 768Mb (max) but it otherwise runs WHS very well.

I took a couple screen shots of task manager, but can't seem to attach them. Memory usage had grown to over 1Gb and growing about 300K/sec. I assume this eventually gets completely borked and the machine hangs. I haven't found any events logged.
    Sunday, February 8, 2009 8:14 PM

All replies

• pkorona-live said:

I frequently see my home server disappear and have to reboot it. The Sunday cleanup process was suspect so I launched it manually. What I saw was DW20 essentially hung in a loop using all CPU and leaking memory. Also page faulting like crazy. (40K/sec... impressive!) This is an old machine with only 768Mb (max) but it otherwise runs WHS very well.

I took a couple screen shots of task manager, but can't seem to attach them. Memory usage had grown to over 1Gb and growing about 300K/sec. I assume this eventually gets completely borked and the machine hangs. I haven't found any events logged.

What do you have installed/configured on this server? SharePoint?

This is an Office error reporting tool and it appears that it is trying to send in a report.

Thanks
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Sunday, February 8, 2009 8:54 PM
  • This machine is only WHS, nothing else. DW20 is in the .NET 2.0 framework folder though, with the description "Microsoft .NET Error Reporting Shim".

I also noticed there were a couple errors in the Application Event log:

Source: HomeServer Category: Backup EventID: 276 11:27:48 AM

Cleanup of the backup database has begun.

Event ID 1000 11:55:09 AM

Faulting application whsbackup.exe, version 6.0.1800.24, faulting module whsbackup.exe, version 6.0.1800.24, fault address 0x0003e735.

followed by Dr. Watson(Event ID 4097) 11:55:26 AM

The application, C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\whsbackup.exe, generated an application error The error occurred on 02/08/2009 @ 11:55:25.550 The exception generated was c0000005 at address 0103E735 (whsbackup)

Sunday, February 8, 2009 10:12 PM
  • pkorona-live said:

This machine is only WHS, nothing else. DW20 is in the .NET 2.0 framework folder though, with the description "Microsoft .NET Error Reporting Shim".

I also noticed there were a couple errors in the Application Event log:

Source: HomeServer Category: Backup EventID: 276 11:27:48 AM

Cleanup of the backup database has begun.

Event ID 1000 11:55:09 AM

Faulting application whsbackup.exe, version 6.0.1800.24, faulting module whsbackup.exe, version 6.0.1800.24, fault address 0x0003e735.

followed by Dr. Watson(Event ID 4097) 11:55:26 AM

The application, C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\whsbackup.exe, generated an application error The error occurred on 02/08/2009 @ 11:55:25.550 The exception generated was c0000005 at address 0103E735 (whsbackup)

Hi,

Can you file a bug for this and submit client and server CABs? We have one other bug that may be related in the database but it was closed because we never received diagnostics. If you have a repro with CABs, it would be very helpful.

Thanks!
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Sunday, February 8, 2009 10:46 PM