Vundo.gen!R RRS feed

• Question

• Windows Live OneCare found potentially harmful or unwanted software on your computer

Threat Name:

Trojan:Win32/Vundo.gen!R

Detection Date and Time:

11/15/2008 12:08 PM

File Name:

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\8ZTLIX75\index[1]

Threat Severity:

Severe

Threat Category:

Trojan

Virus and spyware monitoring found potentially unwanted software:

(ANTIVIRUS_ONACCESS)

Threat Status:

Removed

I’ve been getting this a lot, and I’ve been reading through various forums and running the online tool safety.live.com several times with no luck. I’ve even searched the advanced guides and couldn’t find any of listed files and .dll files anywhere on my system.

It does all the listed things: annoying pop-ups, turning off my automatic updates, and slowing down my computer. What’s worse is that I’m starting to get those pop-ups for the Virus Response Lab 2009 and System Antivirus 2008 dealies. I haven’t installed them, of course, but the web page comes up a lot. I’ve noticed if I have max strength on my IE pop-up blocker, it smothers them, but I just want this gone. I’m about to break down and format my drive.

Oh! And before I get a response mentioning spy doctor, or some such, I’m not exactly able or willing to buy new software at this juncture, so no cost solutions only, please.

Saturday, November 15, 2008 9:22 PM

Answers