How Can I Restore a WHS 2011 System in Case of failure?

Question

• I understand how to restore a client system using the client recovery CD or thumbdrive. However, I've not been able to figure out how to restore the entire Server itself in the event of a failure. There is a completely seperate server backup in Server 2011, but I'm just not sure how to use it. Does this Server backup only allow me to restore specific files and folders or is it a complete image of the server similiar to the client backups? If so, do I simply use the same client recory disc to restore the server?

Thanks in advance for your help.

- Hannes

• Moved by kariya21Moderator Saturday, April 30, 2011 7:44 PM not a WHS v1 question (From:Windows Home Server Software)
    Wednesday, April 27, 2011 2:28 AM

Answers

• Yes,

With Windows Home Server 2011 you can do a "bare metal restore", provided you have a WHS 2011 backup disk available as an external USB drive.
    For restoring boot form the installation DVD and selct the appropriate options.

For third party headless servers there is also an option to privide restore and/or factory reset functionality

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    • Marked as answer by Hannes S Friday, April 29, 2011 12:19 AM
    Thursday, April 28, 2011 9:33 PM

All replies

• Yes,

With Windows Home Server 2011 you can do a "bare metal restore", provided you have a WHS 2011 backup disk available as an external USB drive.
    For restoring boot form the installation DVD and selct the appropriate options.

For third party headless servers there is also an option to privide restore and/or factory reset functionality

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    • Marked as answer by Hannes S Friday, April 29, 2011 12:19 AM
    Thursday, April 28, 2011 9:33 PM
  • That makes perfect sense. Thank you.

I've put upwards of 1TB data on a test box, my next test is going to be a complete restore of the server itself.

Thanks again for your response.

- Hannes

Friday, April 29, 2011 12:22 AM