Remote desktop wallpaper and Aero - should be disabled? RRS feed

• Question

• I've read previous threads here saying that wallpaper and Aero are supposed to be disabled on the target/server machine.  However, I don't see this.  Unfortunately that means everything paints extremely slowly over the wire.

Running Win7 x64 RC on both client & server machines.
    Monday, May 18, 2009 8:55 PM

Answers

• It's been a while since I used the Remote Desktop functionality to a Vista machine and I don't recall if I connected to a Windows 7 machine yet, but I do recall that the wallpaper was blanked out on a Vista machine the last time I connected. I'll check this evening with a Windows 7 connection. Perhaps someone else will jump in earlier.
    However, in the meantime, please file a bug with logs from your machines for this issue since it is causing you to have a poor experience.
    Instructions for how to file a bug are here:

How to Submit Bugs and Live Mesh Logs

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 12:38 PM

All replies

• It's been a while since I used the Remote Desktop functionality to a Vista machine and I don't recall if I connected to a Windows 7 machine yet, but I do recall that the wallpaper was blanked out on a Vista machine the last time I connected. I'll check this evening with a Windows 7 connection. Perhaps someone else will jump in earlier.
    However, in the meantime, please file a bug with logs from your machines for this issue since it is causing you to have a poor experience.
    Instructions for how to file a bug are here:

How to Submit Bugs and Live Mesh Logs

-steve

Tuesday, May 19, 2009 12:38 PM
  • I've read previous threads here saying that wallpaper and Aero are supposed to be disabled on the target/server machine.  However, I don't see this.  Unfortunately that means everything paints extremely slowly over the wire.

Running Win7 x64 RC on both client & server machines.

I'm presently connected from a Vista Business machine to a Win7 x32 RC machine and the wallpaper and Aero are disabled on the target machine.

Same behavior noted connecting from Vista Business to Vista Ultimate.

Yesterday I was connected from a Vista Business machine, to my Win7 machine, and then from that via Remote Desktop to my Vista Ultimate machine - the wallpaper and Aero were disabled on all target machines in the chain.

Unfortunately the login screen for Vista still displays pretty slowly.  The Win7 screen seems a little faster.

By far by biggest gripe is Flash video advertisements or flash ads that involve a lot of fade-in/out behaviors.  I'd like to be able to disable Flash, animated GIFs and any other dancing balogna that slows down an RDP session.
    "We're all in it together, kid." - Harry Tuttle, Heating Engineer
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 8:27 PM
  • Yes, indeed. I confirmed that the wallpaper does blank out when I tested a few different connections last night. I hear you regarding the Flash animations. If Windows Live Messenger is running on the remote machine, the screen redraw suffers horribly when the darn ads play.
    -steve
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 5:10 PM
  • I have experienced the same behavior, however, when I right click my Desktop and go the the Wallpaper options (as if I wanted to change that), the Wallpaper reappears. I am using two versions of Windows Vista Home Premium x86. Aero remains disabled.

I am not 100% sure, but I think that I was once had Aero through Live Mesh Remote acces. I do not know why, I just think I once had this.

-Philipp
    Thursday, May 21, 2009 3:44 PM