Shared folder no password? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a couple of users in the house that do not use passwords on their individual PCs.  When I create a shared folder for any of these people it ask me to create a password.  Because of this the individual has to enter a password to access their folder/shares.  Is there a way to set this up to where the user does not have to enter a password to gain access to the shared folder I created for them?
    Thursday, January 29, 2009 8:16 PM

Answers

• All users should have passwords and they should match on the WHS. You can make their computer automatically logon so they don't have to enter it every time but they should have passwords. If you insist on using no password (really bad idea no matter what the reason) for a user you can create the share with a password then RDP to the desktop and try to change the password to a blank one.

Again, I can't stress enough how bad it is to have blank passwords. 

You can also lower password requirements using my tutorial:

Tutorial: How to bypass the strong password requirements for WHS remote users.
    "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." -- Thomas Paine
    Thursday, January 29, 2009 8:38 PM

All replies

• All users should have passwords and they should match on the WHS. You can make their computer automatically logon so they don't have to enter it every time but they should have passwords. If you insist on using no password (really bad idea no matter what the reason) for a user you can create the share with a password then RDP to the desktop and try to change the password to a blank one.

Again, I can't stress enough how bad it is to have blank passwords. 

You can also lower password requirements using my tutorial:

Tutorial: How to bypass the strong password requirements for WHS remote users.
    Thursday, January 29, 2009 8:38 PM
  • I understand it is important to have a password.  I do on my PC but why does a 13 year old girl need a password on her PC?
    Thursday, January 29, 2009 9:49 PM
  • Age of the user doesn't matter, passwords are for security. :D

There is no good reason to have a user with no password.

Thursday, January 29, 2009 9:54 PM
  • Stu Pidaso said:

I understand it is important to have a password.  I do on my PC but why does a 13 year old girl need a password on her PC?

In the typical home environment, a user ID without a password is an open door with a sign above it saying "hack here". Seriously. Lack of a password on any account, on any computer, is a gaping hole in the security of your home network, because typically everyone in the family is running with default privileges, which is to say local administrator privileges. It's not to protect her computer from her brothers (or vice versa) as they'll usually be able to guess pretty easily what she might use.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, January 29, 2009 10:04 PM
  • Even as a limited user, an account without a password is a bad idea. Elevating privileges can be done once somebody has access to other accounts.

There just isn't a good reason to have accounts without passwords anymore, imho.

Thursday, January 29, 2009 10:10 PM
  • Stu Pidaso said:

I understand it is important to have a password.  I do on my PC but why does a 13 year old girl need a password on her PC?

My kids where happy to have an own password, since it gives them some privacy against the brother/sister or even the parents.

If this not works for you (even with all the given good reasons), after setting the password for the account you can do Autologon with Start/Run control userpasswords2.
    Here uncheck the box, that users must enter user name and password and select the appropriate user/password combo after clicking OK.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Friday, January 30, 2009 12:14 AM