Powershell Gui freeze during WMI query execution RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

So i have this PS Gui created where i have couple of buttons. 

When i press one of the buttons i want the form to close and to proceed with the execution. However what i see is that the form freezes - i cannot close or move it, and on the background the code is still running. In the end the form closes after the code is completed.

Here is what i do:

$buttonFinish_Click = {
        if ($radio.Checked -eq $true)
    	{
    		Write-Host "starting"
    		$form.Close()
                    $wmiObject =Get-WmiObject -Namespace root\cimv2 -Class Win32_Product
    	}

As you can imagine the WMI query takes long time to get through all products in Win32_Product class and until it completes the form stays open even though the close instruction is prior to the wmi query. 

I am seeking help here, how can i close the form and then run the wmi? 

I was looking into jobs and/or DoEvents(), but couldn't get it to work either way..

• Moved by Bill_Stewart Wednesday, May 30, 2018 6:49 PM Abandoned
    Wednesday, March 28, 2018 1:03 PM

All replies

• Why close the form?

Yes.  A form is frozen during the execution of the event.  To prevent this use a job.

\_(ツ)_/

Wednesday, March 28, 2018 1:16 PM
  • I close the form, because i do not need it anymore. My code might run 1 hour and i don't want for the form to show frozen 1 hour..

I did try using jobs, but got the same freeze.

Wednesday, March 28, 2018 1:18 PM
  • The form cannot be closed before starting the job.  You cannot wait on the job.  Give the job a name so you can find it after the form closes.

$buttonFinish_Click = {
        if ($radio.Checked){
    	Write-Host starting
            $temp = Start-Job -Name products -ScriptBlock {Get-WmiObject Win32_Product}
    	$form.Close()
        }
    }

\_(ツ)_/

• Edited by jrv Wednesday, March 28, 2018 1:24 PM
    Wednesday, March 28, 2018 1:23 PM
  • Yep, that worked..

The first time i didn't assign "Receive-Job" to any variable.

Now it is and i can work with the job solution :)

Wednesday, March 28, 2018 7:06 PM