none
Microsoft Money 98 RRS feed

• Question

• Former Win XP user.

I have successfully installed MS Money 98 onto my Win 10 OS using the original CD.  I used the last saved .mny file from an external backup to import the data - date modified 12/12/15 and data size 16,850 KB.  Data transferred over for the most part, but I had to rename the imported .mny file - or else it would not save within the program - choosing my money backup 013116.  Transactions are entered and data is saved within the program, so when I open Money, everything is as it should be.

However, in the File Explorer the .mny file still shows the date modified as 12/12/15 and the data size remains at 16,850 KB, even though transaction to multiple accounts have been entered as recently as 2/27/16. 

Should not the date modified or at least the data size change as transactions are entered?  Although the data is updated within the program, I worried that a more recent backup to an external hard drive will revert that back to 12/12/15 and all subsequent data will be lost.  I'm lucky to have gotten this far, and am afraid to tamper with anything.

MS tech support won't touch this, maybe there is someone out there who can help. 

Sunday, February 28, 2016 9:50 PM

All replies

• Yes, the date modified and the size should change when you add transactions.

I suspect that the file you are seeing in Explorer is not the file that you are using when you open Money.  Money "remembers" the most recently used file and opens that file when you double-click on the Money program icon.  

Use the Windows 10 search function to look in your hard drive for .mny files.  I think that you will find one with a recent date.  Be sure that you are including that file in your backups.  If you decide to move that file to a different sub-folder within your Documents folder, you will need to double-click on it to open it in Money.  Thereafter, Money will remember the location.

Let us know how you make out.

Bill Becker

• Marked as answer by JB007_HMSS Monday, February 29, 2016 2:38 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by JB007_HMSS Monday, February 29, 2016 2:39 AM
    Sunday, February 28, 2016 11:08 PM
  • In Windows 10 your .mny file must be in your user name's Documents area, not the Money default Program Files (x86) area. The Program Files and other system areas are protected areas in versions of Windows from Vista onwards and attempts to save data changes to them will fail.

Check where your updated data file is really located. You may be looking at the original import, not the updated file. In File Explorer, search for *.mny.

Data does not need to be imported on reinstallation of Money versions. Just copy the latest .mny file to the new installation and open it in Money.

Sunday, February 28, 2016 11:21 PM
  • It worked out perfectly!  Between you and DominicP, I was provided everything I needed.  As a test, I renamed the latest backup and saved it on a flash drive, reinstalled MS Money 98 on an XP laptop and the file transferred seamlessly from the flash drive.  I am going to assume that same procedure can be replicated in the event the Win 10 Money 98 app needs to be reinstalled…correct?

What I did find in my file explorer search were about a dozen or so backups that must have collected as I was trying to figure out what was going on.  Can I safely delete all those except for the most current working file?   Lastly, is it safe for me to copy and paste the latest working file into the One Drive/Documents/MS Money 98 folder and delete the one that was in there?  That one currently looks to be the original import to the Money default Program Files (x86) area that has not been updating.   Thanks very much to your quick responses.

Monday, February 29, 2016 2:42 AM
  • Thank you.  See above reply.
    Monday, February 29, 2016 2:43 AM
  • It worked out perfectly!  Between you and DominicP, I was provided everything I needed.  As a test, I renamed the latest backup and saved it on a flash drive, reinstalled MS Money 98 on an XP laptop and the file transferred seamlessly from the flash drive.  I am going to assume that same procedure can be replicated in the event the Win 10 Money 98 app needs to be reinstalled…correct?

Yes, that should work fine.

What I did find in my file explorer search were about a dozen or so backups that must have collected as I was trying to figure out what was going on.  Can I safely delete all those except for the most current working file?

Yes, but I highly recommend always saving two or three of the most recent files to a flash drive just in case something goes wrong.

Lastly, is it safe for me to copy and paste the latest working file into the One Drive/Documents/MS Money 98 folder and delete the one that was in there?  That one currently looks to be the original import to the Money default Program Files (x86) area that has not been updating.   Thanks very much to your quick responses.

I think so, but I don't use One Drive.  Maybe Dominick can chime in here.

Bill Becker

• Edited by Bill Becker Monday, February 29, 2016 2:56 AM
    Monday, February 29, 2016 2:54 AM
  • See OneDrive on your PC.

OneDrive files are synced between the cloud and your PC at C:\Users\<username>\OneDrive.

Monday, February 29, 2016 8:18 AM