Display Account Name on Phone Call form CRM 4.0 RRS feed

• Question

• Is there any easy way to display the Account Name on a Phone Call form for the recipient (both onLoad of form or onChange of recipient), without using Javascript?

I have this working for the onChange via Javscript but will need to replicate this for the onLoad as well and I am concious of multiple 'hits' to the web service (performance).

Perhaps there is something in the 'relationships' that I can refer to?

Cheers
    Brett
    Friday, July 18, 2008 6:13 AM

Answers

• Hi Brett,

If you don't want to take the performance hit on the client side then how about a custom workflow plug-in that updates the activity record when it's created. You could put the company name one of the existing, but unused fields, append to the Description field, or create a new attribute. Doing this would allow you to bring any other company summary details that the phone caller might need to know.

Another option is to write a little JavaScript to pop up the account form when the phone call form is displayed. Or provide a link to a report that summarizes key company details.

The good news is that you have lots of options to pull-in or display company information.

Lastly, I've used web service calls to pull in data from other entities before and users really didn't notice a performance hit. So I wouldn't move away from that option if you're worried about a long delay in the form loading.

-Tim

Monday, July 21, 2008 4:14 AM

All replies

• Brett,

By default the Account name is shown on the PhoneCall form if it's a recipient.

I don't understand what are you trying to achieve.

Jim

Friday, July 18, 2008 8:34 AM
  • Hi Jim,

I want to be able to show the Account name of a Contact recipient.

For example if I have a list of contacts to call, I want to set up a bunch of phone calls as activities against the contact. Then when I open the form I would like to display the contact details, but also show the account name.

I can do this on the OnChange event of the recipient (calling a webservice to retrive the Account Name and populating a new field), but this seems inefficient.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
    Brett

PS. thanks for your reply.
    Monday, July 21, 2008 2:25 AM
  • Hi Brett,

If you don't want to take the performance hit on the client side then how about a custom workflow plug-in that updates the activity record when it's created. You could put the company name one of the existing, but unused fields, append to the Description field, or create a new attribute. Doing this would allow you to bring any other company summary details that the phone caller might need to know.

Another option is to write a little JavaScript to pop up the account form when the phone call form is displayed. Or provide a link to a report that summarizes key company details.

The good news is that you have lots of options to pull-in or display company information.

Lastly, I've used web service calls to pull in data from other entities before and users really didn't notice a performance hit. So I wouldn't move away from that option if you're worried about a long delay in the form loading.

-Tim

Monday, July 21, 2008 4:14 AM
  • Thanks Tim, I think I will stick with the webservice call then on the OnChange of the recipient, but might look into the workflow side of things - great idea!

I have created the workflow but having trouble finding how I look up an account name for the selected recipient in the workflow Update: process.

Any ideas?
    Monday, July 21, 2008 5:55 AM