Task Sync Problem (delay) RRS feed

• Question

• We have Project server 2010, Outlook 2010, Sharepoint 2010

We have enabled Outlook task sync and it is, in fact, working for many people.  However, some people have a severe delay in tasks showing up in Outlook (from project server) and in some cases, never showing up.  As we only have a handful of people using this sync feature (12-15) it is easy to verify they are all setup for sync and have the same permissions.

I have been unable to troubleshoot why with any sort of success.  I had thought it may be an exchange issue but email response time is fine and as I stated, many of us have no problem with our tasks syncing. 

As an added note, I personally had the issue with no tasks showing up in Outlook for 2 days, they showed up on 3rd day but would delay up to 4 hours for 2 days and now are instant.

Not sure if that is clear enough but any help would be appreciated.

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 9:40 PM

Answers

• Please find below my understanding on how Outlook and Project Server integration works.

Once you have the integration successfully set, then:

1. Whenever you create a new task in Project Server and assign it to person for whom exchnage sync is enabled the task will go into his Outlook immediately you publish the project

2. Now you have that task in your Outlook. Now when you update the task progress from Outlook and save task. When you update the task immediately it doesn't go to Project Server. Either it will go through a nightly pull by Project Server from exchange or if you publish the project before that.

Try this so understand it correctly:

1. Create a task in any of the Project and assign it to a resource

2. Save and Publish the project and you will see that task in Outlook.

3. Now update the progress from Outlook and save.

4. After that Open the same project and publish it again. You will see the task update coming to Project Server.

So it is either a nightly pull or a Project Publish which triggere the task pull from Exchange to Project Server.

So what you can do is whenever you publish the project for which there are tasks assigned to people who have Outlook sync enabled, monitor the progress the queue job "Exchange Server Task Sync". This should get completed. If this is getting completed successfully on Project Server then probably you need to get your Exchange Server 2007 updated with latest patches.

Thank you, Abhijeet M. Mohite
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 5:47 AM
  • Wednesday, August 10, 2011 5:48 AM

All replies

• Hello Cdub22,

Try to verify Exchange CAS accounts permissions in Project Server. 

Have a look at this, might help you
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/projserv2010setup/thread/48244f4e-85d1-419c-955b-c0d82f1f9f52/

Thanks, Amit Khare |EPM Consultant| Blog: http://amitkhare82.blogspot.com http://www.linkedin.com/in/amitkhare82
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 5:32 AM
  • Hi There,

What version of exchange are you guys running? as far as i know Exchange 2010 is a requirement to make it work properly

Andre

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 6:26 AM
  • Hi

Same problem!

All the team members recive the emails, but only some of them can see the tasks in Outlook. The users that can not see the tasks, enter in OWA and can not find those tasks there, neither. There just do not have a tasks section or folder in the OWA. Those whoe have the tasks in outlook, have them in OWA too.

What can be the problem?

Thanks

GGrandson

Tuesday, August 9, 2011 5:54 PM
  • Please find below my understanding on how Outlook and Project Server integration works.

Once you have the integration successfully set, then:

1. Whenever you create a new task in Project Server and assign it to person for whom exchnage sync is enabled the task will go into his Outlook immediately you publish the project

2. Now you have that task in your Outlook. Now when you update the task progress from Outlook and save task. When you update the task immediately it doesn't go to Project Server. Either it will go through a nightly pull by Project Server from exchange or if you publish the project before that.

Try this so understand it correctly:

1. Create a task in any of the Project and assign it to a resource

2. Save and Publish the project and you will see that task in Outlook.

3. Now update the progress from Outlook and save.

4. After that Open the same project and publish it again. You will see the task update coming to Project Server.

So it is either a nightly pull or a Project Publish which triggere the task pull from Exchange to Project Server.

So what you can do is whenever you publish the project for which there are tasks assigned to people who have Outlook sync enabled, monitor the progress the queue job "Exchange Server Task Sync". This should get completed. If this is getting completed successfully on Project Server then probably you need to get your Exchange Server 2007 updated with latest patches.

Thank you, Abhijeet M. Mohite
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 5:47 AM
  • Wednesday, August 10, 2011 5:48 AM