Will Home Server activate if it's been removed from someone else's machine RRS feed

• Question

• I'm looking at buying a used copy of Windows home server and for whatever reason the person selling it purchased an OEM version Newegg and then chose to unistall.

He states the following  " I activated it 1 time and then removed it. So, it will activate again just fine."

I'm curious to know if I purchase it will it activate ok for me.
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 1:44 AM

Answers

• The license isn't transferable once it's been installed, so no, I doubt it will "...activate again just fine." It's possible that you could fast talk your way through telephone activation, but you'd really be better off buying your own legal copy of the software from Newegg.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 1:59 AM
  • Personally I've changed motherboards on my machine and reactivated 3-4 times. I think its certainly possible, but it is against the terms of license.
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 11:46 PM

All replies

• The license isn't transferable once it's been installed, so no, I doubt it will "...activate again just fine." It's possible that you could fast talk your way through telephone activation, but you'd really be better off buying your own legal copy of the software from Newegg.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 1:59 AM
  • Personally I've changed motherboards on my machine and reactivated 3-4 times. I think its certainly possible, but it is against the terms of license.
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 11:46 PM