none
Windows Subsystem for Linux missing after Windows Update RRS feed

• Question

• I just did a windows update on my DSVM and now Windows Subsystem for Linux is gone.

There is no Bash option available from the start menu, no Window Subsystem for Linux listed in Add Roles and Features, and the Powershell installation commands for Windows Subsystem for Linux listed at https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/commandline/wsl/install-on-server fail (see screenshots below).

This is a very expensive machine and I'm unable to do my work on it without WSL/Bash. Bash had been working prior to the Windows update. Reboot doesn't help.

I've turned on Developer Mode for the machine (which doesn't seem to be required for the current versions of Windows Subsystem for Linux but which was required for early betas) and get the same results with Developer mode on or off.

Saturday, October 21, 2017 4:13 PM

Answers

• Thanks for the feedback. We will include WSL on the DSVM once it becomes generally available on Windows Server 2016. I understand this is in preview and only in Insider builds. We currently use the standard Windows Server 2016 Data center with Containers as the base image for the DSVM / Deep Learning VM. Having said that you do have ability to use Git Bash. It is possible that the search indexing is not automatically started.  In command prompt you can just type "bash".  We will add a shortcut on taskbar and start menu to git-bash in next refresh. Also if you are using The deep learning VM, as part of the wizard it will give you a choice of Windows (Windows Server 2016) and Linux (Ubuntu). Depending on your usage scenario, you can also take a look the Linux/Ubuntu based deep learning DSVM (which has a bunch of deep learning frameworks, nvidia drivers, CUDA etc) to see if that meets your more of your requirements. 

Can you share details on your how you will use WSL  on the Windows Server 2016 based deep learning VM once there is WSL support built in? This will help us communicate to concerned teams and guide feature prioritization decisions. 

Monday, October 23, 2017 9:08 PM

All replies

• Cross-posted to Azure Virtual Machines at the request of @azureSupport
    Saturday, October 21, 2017 4:43 PM
  • UPDATE: it looks like the Deep Learning DSVM's don't actually have the Linux Subsystem for Windows installed (I'd like to recommend that they do come with it, because it's currently a huge pain to install on Windows Server machines). I was apparently using the bash in Program Files/Git/usr/bin and somehow that dropped out of the start menu search path. So the issue isn't that LSW was deleted but rather that it was never actually added to the base MSFT VM definition.
    Saturday, October 21, 2017 11:13 PM
  • Thanks for the feedback. We will include WSL on the DSVM once it becomes generally available on Windows Server 2016. I understand this is in preview and only in Insider builds. We currently use the standard Windows Server 2016 Data center with Containers as the base image for the DSVM / Deep Learning VM. Having said that you do have ability to use Git Bash. It is possible that the search indexing is not automatically started.  In command prompt you can just type "bash".  We will add a shortcut on taskbar and start menu to git-bash in next refresh. Also if you are using The deep learning VM, as part of the wizard it will give you a choice of Windows (Windows Server 2016) and Linux (Ubuntu). Depending on your usage scenario, you can also take a look the Linux/Ubuntu based deep learning DSVM (which has a bunch of deep learning frameworks, nvidia drivers, CUDA etc) to see if that meets your more of your requirements. 

Can you share details on your how you will use WSL  on the Windows Server 2016 based deep learning VM once there is WSL support built in? This will help us communicate to concerned teams and guide feature prioritization decisions. 

Monday, October 23, 2017 9:08 PM