how to add entries in Lookup Record in CRM 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• Dear All,

How to add different entries in the following 'Look for' dropdown list. Because I want to add "Territory" along with Team and User.

I would be very happy if anybody respond with valuable information.

Thanks & Regards, Sudhakar
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 1:30 PM

Answers

• Hello Sudhakar
    First option :
    • create 3 lookup fields  in your entity based each other on User, Team and territory entities.
    • create an optionset with 3 values corresponding to  User, Team and territory
    • show/hide each lookup field in the form with the  selected  value of the optionset with a javascript function
    Second option :
    • you have a new functionnality in crm11 called custom activity, you can create your own activity like phonecall with your necessaries attribute
    • if this functionnality correspond to your need, you can use the default field associate to this entity called "RegardingObjectId", this field is a system field wich can be a lookup to a lot of entities like user, customer, account, contact...
    • You can make a filter to lookups that you need with javascript functions.
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 8:54 AM

All replies

• Hello Sudhakar,

Sorry but it's not possible, the field associate to the lookup is a system field correponding to the owner of a record wich can be only a user or a team CRM. 

It's a limitation, you can't make a reference to an other entity.

Perhaps it can be made, but I think that it is strongly complex with developpements by plugin based on some specifics messages but I don't know how.
    Or you can develop yourself a webpage dialog simulating the comportment that you're searching based on a custom text field. 

Alex

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 2:00 PM
  • Thanks for replying Alex. I want to add different options in custom look up record, not system look up record. Actually whenever we create a relationship between two entities then we will get the custom look up field.I want to add different options in that custom look up record, for example Account, Contact, Lead.......etc. How to do this? Is it possible through relationships, scripting or any other custom logic?

Please share me any valuable information regarding this.

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 8:41 AM
  • Hello,

I had the same problem, the simpliest solution i found is to create differents lookup field based on differents related entities and play with visibility of each in the form with an optionset field.

The other way, if the specifity of your entity can be made, is to create your entity as a custom activity entity and use the default field "regardingObjectId" wich can lookup different fields as the same time.   

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 8:52 AM
  • Hello Sudhakar,

Have you solved your problem with proposed solutions?

Thursday, December 15, 2011 5:07 PM
  • Hello Alex,

Thanks for updating me. If you don't mind please explain with little bit clear.

Monday, December 19, 2011 8:51 AM
  • You want more explanation about the custom activity entity?
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 10:36 AM
  • I would be very happy if you give the clarity on both ways.
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 6:09 PM
  • Hello Sudhakar
    First option :
    • create 3 lookup fields  in your entity based each other on User, Team and territory entities.
    • create an optionset with 3 values corresponding to  User, Team and territory
    • show/hide each lookup field in the form with the  selected  value of the optionset with a javascript function
    Second option :
    • you have a new functionnality in crm11 called custom activity, you can create your own activity like phonecall with your necessaries attribute
    • if this functionnality correspond to your need, you can use the default field associate to this entity called "RegardingObjectId", this field is a system field wich can be a lookup to a lot of entities like user, customer, account, contact...
    • You can make a filter to lookups that you need with javascript functions.
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 8:54 AM