MOS 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• I need some help with MOS certification tests 2013. I have been teaching MIcrosoft Office for the past 25 years and I have taken these certification tests in the past. I took Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint. In all three tests I got completely hung up on finding the files to use to complete the projects. The test said that they are in the Document Folder or Picture Folder if it is not in the resource pane. They were not. I had to dig way into the program to find them which cost a considerable amount of time. I still am not sure where I found them and how to guide and prepare my students for the 2013 tests. Anyone familiar with the 2013 series tests and where they are located?

Deanna

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 6:18 PM

Answers

• Hi Deanna,

It certainly could be a glitch at the testing center. I do know that they can fix these types of issues after an exam goes live. I will send an email to the people at Microsoft Learning that manage the Office exams so that they are aware of this.

Mike Corkery, MCT, MVP (Office Systems), MCSD (Windows Store Apps), MCITP, MCPD, MSF, etc. Please do not forget to click “Vote as Helpful” if any post helps you and "Mark as Answer”if it solves the issue.

Thursday, April 24, 2014 4:20 PM

All replies

• Hi Deanna,

I took the Word and Excel 2013 exams a few months back. If I remember correctly, any supporting files were in the Document or Picture folders. I don't remember having any difficulty finding them.

From your post, I was not sure if you had taken the 2013 versions of the exams. These are significantly different than earlier MOS exams. Instead of a number of individual questions where you had to complete a task or two, you are asked to complete a document or workbook. The one scenario gives you a series of related steps. I walked away from the exams feeling that these scenarios were very real-world. They feel like assignments a supervisor or coworker may ask you to perform.

Have your students read the steps very carefully and compare their results with the images supplied. I found a couple of instances where the expectations in the instructions were not 100% clear. These may have been clarified since I took the exams.

Mike Corkery, MCT, MVP (Office Systems), MCSD (Windows Store Apps), MCITP, MCPD, MSF, etc. Please do not forget to click “Vote as Helpful” if any post helps you and "Mark as Answer”if it solves the issue.

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 6:47 PM
  • Hi Mike

It was 2013 and they were not in the those folders.  I had to dig through the folders within the testing software.Could it be a glitch at the testing center or with the test?

Deanna

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 7:04 PM
  • Hi Deanna,

It certainly could be a glitch at the testing center. I do know that they can fix these types of issues after an exam goes live. I will send an email to the people at Microsoft Learning that manage the Office exams so that they are aware of this.

Thursday, April 24, 2014 4:20 PM