Revert Contacts with Activities to Leads RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Is it possible to revert Contacts along with their Activities (Emails, Tasks, Appointments,... etc) to Leads? These contacts have never been leads before though. Is there any possible way to do that from the Frontend rather than the export/import cause it may not be feasible when we have associated activities. 

If it is NOT possible from the frontend, what could be the best approach to do that from the backend ?

Thank you all!

Friday, September 12, 2014 6:05 PM

All replies

• Over the last couple of years, I've been encouraging my customers not to use the Leads entity. It results in a confusing user experience (having to look in two places to see if a person is in CRM). It's an old fashioned concept that came from CRM systems designed 20 years ago. Instead, just use a Contact with a Type value of 'Lead'.

But I can't think of any reason why there would be a good business reason to convert a contact into a lead. If you really had to then the way to do this from the front end would be to create a new lead, manually copy across all the relevant field values, save the record, and then manually reassociate all the notes, activities and other records that were associated with the contact. If the activities have been completed, you'd need to run a workflow rule to 'uncomplete' the activity so that you could reassociate it and then complete it again. It would probably take 20 to 30 minutes per contact. Or you could write a plugin to automate all those steps.

Neil Benson, CRM Addict and MVP at Slalom Consulting. Find me on Twitter. Join over 20,000 other CRM professionals on the Microsoft Dynamics CRM group on LinkedIn.

Monday, October 6, 2014 4:29 PM