Unresponsive console / high cpu usage RRS feed

• Question

• I've noticed that after transferring mp3 files onto my HP LX-195 server, the console becomes less responsive in a cyclical manner. The cycles of when it's not responsive happens about every five-ten seconds and corresponds with the CPU running at 60-70%. The non responsive time period is 1-3 seconds. During that time, the system uses about 40% of the CPU and homeserverconsole.exe uses about 20%. If the console is closed, the high usage stops. I've seen this happen now for several days after adding 1500 mp3 files. The LX-195 runs Twonkymedia for web streaming. I've removed that addin and it seemed to stop happening. I have reinstalled it though because I use web streaming. I really don't need to use the console much now that the server is set up but it's frustrating when I do need to use it. I've read other say this is just the normal process of the server processing the new files. After adding just 1500 mp3 files, I wouldn't expect it to take several days! Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 8:18 PM

All replies

• You could try and rebuild the Twonky database. Also pleas check if there are any HP updates available for your server, update fixed similar issue for another user. Could also be you have some kind of hardware or driver issue (drive in PIO mode?), please make sure your system is up to date. Might also be worthwile to check the event logs and Twonky media server logs on your server.

If you can't resolve the issue yourself you could also contact HP or Twonky support.
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 8:36 AM
  • Thank you for the reply. I have since restored the operating system yesterday and am in the process of getting everything up and running again. So, far the issue of cyclical cpu spikes is not happening although I've put only a handful of mp3 files on the server to test it out. I will be adding more files this weekend to and hope that it remains in good working order. BTW, I had made sure that all HP and Microsoft updates were installed. I also had rebuilt the Twonky database several times. Unfortunately, version 2.5 from HP is not yet available for the LX195.
    Friday, October 16, 2009 6:42 PM
  • I've tried to fix this several times and tried a few suggestions posted around the web.  Unfortunately, I don't think anything works.  The more media you have on the server, the more resources Twonky starts to hog from the processor.

I just rebuilt my ex485 and upgraded it to an E5200 dual core CPU.  Prior to the upgrade, if I had Twonky enabled, the Celeron was maxed out almost constantly.  Bringing up the console took forever.  Performance was terrible.  I just uninstalled it and CPU immediately went to under 2% utilization at idle.  Internal temperatures dropped dramatically as well.

I installed the dual core 3 day ago.  I reenabled Twonkey to see how it would run with the new CPU.  Now at idle I'm seeing an average of 50% utilization.  I was hoping to see it calm down after a few days once it completed indexing all the media on my drives, but I'm about ready to concede that it isn't going to happen.  I've read of others who've tried before me and were unsuccessful as well.  I'm going to give it another day, but it looks as if I'm just going to have to kill it again.

I'm surprised that there aren't more complaints on this issue.
    Friday, October 30, 2009 6:14 AM
  • Patience is a virtue.  It took 4days.  Everything has calmed down today,  CPU usage is 0% at idle now.  Apparently it just takes a long time to index the media files.  I've also read that if you reboot, the process has to run all over again.  After 4 days, I'm not willing to test that today, but I'm sure I'll find out before tool long.

So, I guess if you really want to watch whatever's stored on you MSS on your 65" flat screen in the family room ... you just have to let it index the files for however many days it takes, which will depend on how much content you have on the server.
    Friday, October 30, 2009 6:52 PM
  • I wish I could say the same.  I'm having the unresponsive console/high CPU usage, but I think it ties into a different aspect of WHS.

Because first, the hard drive is insanely full.  And second, it is insanely fragmented.

It occurred to me that although Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy is managing the "mirroring" (for lack of a better term), the concept of "My Documents" and "Shared Documents" in Windows still revolves around the C:\ drive and the user accounts.

I hadn't added anything to the server, and day after day it got more full, until it could no longer defragment its already-red-24-7 self.  Not many log files, not much in the Temp and Prefetch folders...what to do?

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data says it is packed with gigs of data, mostly in the TwonkyMedia folder. 

Opening the folder reveals nothing
    Properties dialog to get details is unresponsive when I choose it from the folder's right-click menu

The weird part is, the server is lightning fast...it's just the console that suffers, even when I launch it from remoting into the server.  Which is annoying since I can't manage some settings without the console.

Any ideas anyone?
    Saturday, December 5, 2009 3:43 AM
  • Bleh.  Defragging didn't fix anything.

I started a thread here:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/cf174bf1-a427-4f34-9c21-68c1308f3487/#de52ecc2-aafd-43f4-9a76-f00b4d189aa1

If anyone else is having this problem.
    Friday, December 11, 2009 10:19 PM